• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy placement

the way I read the law, you cannot leave decoys on "public" water or land overnight. I would interpret this as you are able to place and leave decoys overnight on private land or water. would my assumption be correct??

Thanks, Jeff

Blackjack, where does it say the thing about decoys on opener. I was thinking of setting decoys Friday night for the early goose season. I can't find where I would be prohibited from doing this.

Thanks, Jeff

I was afraid you'd ask that... Its always been my belief that you can't throw them out til 11, whether on public or private, but it looks like I may be wrong. Page 92 of the regs makes it clear that you can't do it on public waters, but then it says "except decoys may be left in waters adjacent to private land under control of the hunter where there is not sufficient natural vegetation growing in the water to partially conceal a hunter". So what the h$ll does that mean??! That if there is NOT cattails, you can throw your decoys out early? Clear as mud, eh?

My E-mail and response from the DNR
-----------------------------------

The way I read the law, you cannot leave decoys on public water or
land
overnight. I would interpret this as you are able to place and leave
decoys
overnight on private land or water. would my assumption be correct??
If I
were to place my goose decoy's this coming Friday night on private
land,
would I be in compliance with the law. I cannot find anything in the
reg's
or the waterfowl supplement that would make this illegal.

Thank you,

Jeff

---------------------------------------

Jeff,
If you are placing your decoys out on private land you could put them
out tonight.

Shannon
DNR Info Center
[email protected]
888-646-6367
651/296-6157