• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duck Hunting Areas Fergus Falls,MN

Looking to hunt a couple days up near fergus falls, mn Any tips on some areas to go? I haven't hunted in that area so any info would be very helpful. Will be hunting during the week. Thanks!
Hookem

What time of season? Do you have a non-motorized boat (canoe, layout, etc..)? What do you want to target, puddlers or divers?

Thanks for your reply CD,
I'll be going in the middle of Oct., targeting mallards...and maybe some divers.
prefer to hunt out of my boat, which has an outboard. Which lakes have good hunting areas?
Thanks

Hmmm. I could tell you some spots if you had a small boat that could paddle. I've hunted it in my 14' and rowed, but it was a work out to say the least with deks and 2 guys. It would be insane hunting (given the weather of course).

Email me. chunord at yahoo dot com

HEY ,GET OUT OF MY AREA!!!

Just kiddin! I have hunted the Fergus area for many years, up till I started going to ND and SD to hunt.
There is a large wildlife waterfowl area just North and West of Fergus called Orwell area.
This is a real good spot, but it gets used a lot also.You will have to read up on the regulations for that area as well.It changes year to year.There are parking spots to use for federal blinds but you can only get there so early as they don't allow overnight parking there.

Another idea is to get an atlas or gazzetier from Gander Mountain and look for areas you would like to try.
There is a lake West of twon on HWY 59 that used to be open to hunt, but last time I went by it there were lots of no trespass signs.Maybe some door knocking will get you on some private land as well.Most of the people in the area are open to hunters and are nice to talk to, just be calm and curtious to them if they say no.Offer to give them a couple of ducks, if you get permission.

The local CO up there is the DNR waterfowl expert so a chat with him would give you some ideas as well.

Good luck, Benny

[This message has been edited by Benny (edited 07-30-2003).]

Thanks CD and Benny,
I'm going to the DNR office today to talk to them and get a PRIM map of the area. ND is great for duck hunting, my hunting friends and I have new families, so it's difficlut to get away for a week. Thanks for your help, I'll have more questions once I talk to the DNR.

Thanks,

I saw your post in the OT forum too, and Gissert gave some good advice. I mainly hunt east of Fergus around Vining and I have some pretty good success. I frequent Dalton area lakes and fair well too. I stay away from Orwell as it's just too many people and I've found access to be tough.

I know spots by Elbow Lake that are insane, but you have to work for the birds.

Buy a map that shows accesses and then look at the DNR topo maps online to indicate shallow marshy areas. I scout in the field, but now I scout more by looking at satellite images and topo maps.

Good luck. Bring this topic back when you are close to your trip and we can give you some updates on the birds.

biglakeba$$-
I didn't see your post til now. I hunt REAL close to where you stated. About 2-3 miles north of you and a mile or so west smile.gif You are right in the Inspiration Hills area. Great hunting for everything! I live only minutes for your location.

Hookem,
Where are you staying? In Fergus or elsewhere? Do you have a motor boat or canoe, etc.? I'll try to pinpoint an area for you.

CD,
Thanks for your reply, we don't know where we are staying yet, I guess the plan was to try and find good areas to hunt then set up lodging near it... kinda open, detroit lakes - fergus some where in there. I haven't been hunting there before.

Thanks,

If you guys are going to "wing it" wait until the season starts. LOL The birds should be easier to pinpoint by then, weather wise, etc.?

Are you camping or do you guys need a motel?
I could pinpoint a great area for you if you want to camp, and great hunting in all sorts of directions.

If I were you, I have better success west and south of Fergus. Look on your MN Gazetter and find lakes around Dalton, Elbow Lake, etc. There are a bunch of lakes with public accesses that have decent hunting. I've racked on TONS of miles scouting the country side, and hunting all lakes that appeal to me. I can't tell you exactly, but this should give you a good point to start. (I'll hint that lakes like Ten Mile have been good, but mighty pressured on weekends. During the week might be good! I haven't hunted Ten Mile for years because of the pressure. It's also been developed with homes all over since my days there.)

Lots of lakes around here have good hunting, some you would be surprised fowl would even like them!

I hunt small pothole lakes that are hard to access, but that's because they are so good. I'm restricted to a motor boat towards the end of the season for larger waters to hunt the divers. I can only suspect that the lakes I hunt in late season are just as good as mid-Oct(?).

Well, It's getting closer, and I'm in the planning stages on my duck hunting trip to Fergus Falls area. We'll be hunting 10/15 thru 10/17 then heading over to meet some friends near Aitkin to hunt the rest of the weekend.
Where to go? I got some prim maps and a couple others. I could some more advise on where?
Thanks...