• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LP in the cold

NKLCOLT1911

anyone know how LP is affected by the cold, i was out fishing last night and my heater cooker just didnt seem to be getting as hot as it could, i had to run it on high to keep comfortable, but when fishing on new years day in -8 low was plenty and even had to crack a door, anyone else have any related issues.

I worked with gas over the years and this is the best answer I can give you, Yes and no. Propane is very nonreactive by itself (except when burned in oxygen). The temperature that propane is at doesn't effect it's properties. Also, propane has a very low freezing point (-188°C) so it won't freeze when it gets cold.

However, when using propane for a stove, etc., cold can affect how well it works. A propane tank is full of liquid propane under pressure. When it is being used, the liquid first has to vaporize to a gas, where it can then be burned. Because it takes a lot of heat for the liquid to vaporize into a gas, cold weather can slow down the flow. If this is a problem, the propane tank can be placed in a bucket of lukewarm water so that heat is available for the propane to vaporize.

How full the tank is can have a big affect in the cold. The emptier the tank the more problems you will have.

The less liquid propane in the tank the more area there is to pressurize with the vaporized propane. The colder it is the slower the liquid propane vaporizes.