• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda eu20001 generator problem

Down2Earth

Question

When I try and start this thing after sitting for a day I will put the choke on and in one or 2 pulls it starts and runs for 5-10seconds and shuts off (no matter what you do with the choke switch after it's running). It will do this 5 to 10 times and then run perfect. Now when shutting it off after each use if I turn the switch off and once it dies I turn the switch back to the on position and store it like that it will start up and run perfect every time no matter if it's been stored a day or a week. It's about 5 years old and just started doing it this year.

5 answers to this question

If the carb is clean and it runs ok once its running its probably not a carb issue.

I believe the shut off switch on this unit is also a fuel shut off. Its possible that when you turn the switch on the fuel is delayed in flowing. The shut off is probably not opening fully at first and then opens up after it runs a bit. It could be sticking or it may have become hardened from age and fuel. I've heard of guys putting different petcocks on this for this very reason.

does the oil light on front light up when it shuts down? mine does the same thing, the oil is cold and not flowing very well, throwing the "low oil" shutdown into action. bring the generator in for a night and then try it. if it runs without a problem, its just cold blooded. I use mine on mille lacs and have to bring it in the house at night or it will give me the same issues. if it still gives you issues when trying a cold start after being inside then its time to look at fuel lines/etc

If the carb is clean and it runs ok once its running its probably not a carb issue.

I believe the shut off switch on this unit is also a fuel shut off. Its possible that when you turn the switch on the fuel is delayed in flowing. The shut off is probably not opening fully at first and then opens up after it runs a bit. It could be sticking or it may have become hardened from age and fuel. I've heard of guys putting different petcocks on this for this very reason.

I thought this was how the newer ones were made within the last couple years and the older ones the on off switch had nothing to do with shutting the fuel off. I will try discontenting the switch tonight and turn it in the off position and see if it will die.

By the way you described it in your first post it seems like the fuel shut off may be the problem.

If you use it regularly its no big deal to leave the switch in the on position. The other down side of the way this works is that you cant shut off the petcock and run it out of fuel for longer term storage, you have to drain the whole tank.