• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need help with lab

i have a two year old lab mixed third shepard quarter lab.. he looks more lab
i want to beable to train him for hunting
season, when i fling a frisbee he'll chase
it after a bit he'll run off i call him
and he doesn't come back i have to go find him.. i did take him to obedience class
but he would'nt listen to my commands..
he does sit i have a hard time having him stay.. i did get books from the library
but they were out dated.. patience is one thing i don't have much of

Patience IS KEY here eagleclaw38!

I have been a Lab trainer/owner/handler since 1965 and truthfully...if you do not exhude patieance in what you wish to accomplish with this dog..I would not try to train it at all. You will just be frustrating yourself further and most likely and most unfortunately, you also would be ruining your relationship with your K-9 friend frown.gif

So, do not push the dog with a training plan if you also do not "train yourself" 1st and foremost! smile.gif Just some friendly advice grin.gif

"LUND-MAN" (Labrador trainer/handler since 1965) grin.gif

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

lund-man what do i need to do to train myself? in order to train my dog, my neighbor told me it's not to late to train my dog.. he owns a baitshop and has and older golden retreiver he trained a long time
ago has one a year and three month old
and has him trained maybe i need to talk to him.. if you'd like drop me an email
at [email protected]

Eagleclaw, what you have to do is start making the dog do what you want him to do, not what he wants to do. Start with a long rope (50 to 100 feet) and have him on it all the time when you work him. When you throw the frizbee or whatever you have control over him and can force him to come straight to you and only you. After a while he will get the idea that he HAS to come to you when you command him to. Start things out easy and in short intervals, not too much too soon. He will come around, you just need patience. Whatever you do, don't let him get away with anything you don't want him to. If he does something wrong let him know. A little jerk on the rope or tap on the snout with a stern "NO" will go a long ways. Only praise and pet when he does something right and he'll get the idea fast. Good luck.

eagleclaw,
there's a lot of books out there on dog training. unfortunately, it's good to read them prior to buying a pooch. i would reccommend to anyone one of richard wolter's books...they teach step by step training of upland or water dogs.
good luck!