• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip up. How does it work

aquafang

Looking at your picture I believe you have the arm upside down. Turn it 180 degrees. But as others said take your line from the spool, through the hole in the metal flap and then down the hole. Every time you set this type of tip up is completely different depending on wind speed, direction, ect. When I used mind I also put a small bend on the metal flap to help catch a little more wind. You then bend the flag over and tuck it on the backside of the spool (creating resistance). When a fish strikes the whole arm will swing towards the hole and then the spool will begin to spin and trip the flag.

The only time I ever used the windlass tip-ups was for steel-head fishing on marinas on Lake Michigan in the winter. We also made plywood boxes around the holes and a cover with a small hole and slit for the line. They take some getting used to and aren't perfect but they do help with giving a small lure and or live bait some action (when wind exists).

I have one and used it only a handful of times, but I would bend flag over in an arc and place against the line on reel part. Like any other tip up as line is pulled off it push flag up until it is free/ up like in your pic. Probably works best if flag is wrapped around metal spring steel before putting in set/ ready position. Sorry if this is not clear trying my best to explain what I do. Hope that helps

Thers a spring tensioner to adjust based on the wind surge, that can make it go boing boing in the wind an you get natural wind jiggin to attract fish. biggest pike Ive ever seen caught came outa the BWCA on on went 47 inches.

My personal best(49") came from the BWCA also on one of these tip-ups.

They always outproduced the standard tip-ups using dead cisco or smelt. We have caught hundreds of 15-30lb pike up there using these and stationary tip-ups. I don't mind posting that here because not many people will walk 8-10 miles pulling a sled and sleep in a sleeping bag for 2 nights(no tent) and then walk back out.

Love the BWCA!! Wish they wouldn't have changed the fishing season up there, it was great in march.