• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Bluegill Hunt

Bobb-o

My future FIL informed me of a fishing contest at his work in which the largest of 4 different species won prizes. He told me what sizes won the last round for each species and I told him to be ready this Saturday and we were going to make a run for the bluegill title for him. I got to their place around 10pm on Friday after a long day at work. We discussed a game plan and went to bed.

Left around 730 am for the 140 mile drive. Arrived to find that apparently word got out aboot this little spot, but we were determined to fish anyways. Our first spot yielded nothing more than small perch and 'gills up to 8.5" Not exactly our target size. We drilled in a little shallower and found some fish that were willing to cooperate on natural colored Lindy Bugs and waxworms. I was confused at first when Ron came up to me with his hand hidden under his coat and said "Is this the size we are looking for?" It was a beautiful 'gill! We put it on the bump board for a photo and it fell just short of 10".

We never got Ron his monster gill for the work contest, but we got a great meal of nice crappies and perch (no bluegills were harmed during this fishing trip!)

No worries though Ron, I have a few more lake up my sleeve...

Photo1067_zpsf496bbb4.jpg

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]