• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Better Business Bureau

traveler

Question

couldn't see any place that seemed right to post this ?, so here it ends up:)

So...who actually uses the BBB? I own a small business and am registered with the state of MN., I was contacted by them and offered "accreditation" (for a price, of course)

Main benifit I can see is useing the logo in advertising and a presence on thier HSOforum.

So...anyone here use the BBB? I never have in the past, just curious if it's a "go to" resource or kind of a ...relic?

9 answers to this question

Honestly, the only times I have looked up businesses on there is when I had a bad experience. I will look up the business, and see if they have a history of complaints, if they do, I use it as ammo to get my point across to the manager I will be talking to. If they had only good reviews, or none, I usually will give the company the benefit of the doubt, and chalk it up as sh** happens.

My opinion is, if it is cheap, it is advertising. Even if only a few people use it. I am not sure of the cost, but if just 2 people went to you because they seen your business name there, would you break even? Or come ahead? If so, go for it. If you need to get a bunch of people, then I wouldnt do it.

I think BBB was more utilized before the influx of social media. Now you can enter pretty much any company name into a Internet browser and read reviews from people posted some place.

If you are a start up without social media review it could help. If I plan to spend a larger amount of money with a contactor for work on the house, then I will do more research and check BBB.

Hi Traveler, I got that same call about a year ago, never have heard from them for the twentyfive plus years I've been in business. Of course the conversation lead to money for they're approval and I politely said your kidding, no thanks. I don't think most consumers even know BBB is still around. Plenty of other resources to check validity of a company.

Anyone can call up and put a bad review on a company @BBB. However to be a company that gets positive reviews or that can submit their reply to a negative review you must pay.(so i have been told)

That doesnt sound "impartial". I've also heard that when your rating goes up, your cost is higher also. Im not sure this is true, but if it is, then that sounds like "pay to get a better rating" to me.

Consumer reports went down the same path and look what happened to them. As soon as they started charging companies to be "rated" they lost all credibility and poof...Do they even exsist anymore?

Anyone can call up and put a bad review on a company @BBB. However to be a company that gets positive reviews or that can submit their reply to a negative review you must pay.(so i have been told)

That doesnt sound "impartial". I've also heard that when your rating goes up, your cost is higher also. Im not sure this is true, but if it is, then that sounds like "pay to get a better rating" to me.

Consumer reports went down the same path and look what happened to them. As soon as they started charging companies to be "rated" they lost all credibility and poof...Do they even exsist anymore?

Sounds like a scam! I would check with the BBB before sending them any money smile

There was a story done by one of the networks that really put the BBB in a different light. From what I recall, a business can wipe out or get their rating changed by paying a certain amount of money.

As I recall in the show, a business that was unwilling to pay the fee, was often rated lower if without a complaint, and those with complaints, as long as they paid, were rated higher than those without.

Thew show left the inference that the BBB is not what it was and has become a pay for ratings organization.

I'm sure you can find the show referenced with a quick search.

Mike

a little update...I checked the local BBB HSOforum and there isn't a single local company in my field listed.

Think I'm gonna save the 500/year. Thanks for the input all.

We got a call from the BBB last week also. Did the same as you did (and also included some out of state businesses we know of) with similar results. We decided to save the $500/year also, especially since I'm not a fan of high pressure sales tactics either.