• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane tank never purged

Dozer

Question

I have a 5lb propane tank on my Big Buddy heater. Got it filled the first time and all seemed fine until I used it. Seemed like I went through the tank real quick but didnt think much about it. Took it in today and they only got one pound in it and said it wouldnt take any more. After some research I seems the tank should have been purged when filled for the first time, I 99% the kid at Holiday didn't do anything special the first time.

Now what do I do? Is there something I can do myself? Does it need to go to a professional?

5 answers to this question

I look at this sort of thing like this. The worst that can happen is you blow yourself to GloryLand. Thats bad. It doesnt cost too much to have it purged. Personally, I spend the money. We dont want to see Dozer in the Memorials-Stolen forum. It would be ironic if you had it purged and then it got stolen.

I have watched them purged a tank but it has been a few years. I know there is is a screw that they open after they have added a little propane. If it was me I would go to a place that fills tanks and make sure they know that it needs to be purged before they even try to fill. Might have to do a little searching or make a few calls but at least it will be done right.

Funny,I just looked at 5lb tanks and just could not pull the trigger when they cost almost twice as much as a 20lb tank.

As a propane professional, the purge will not affect how much gas the cyl will hold. The reason for the purge is to "purge" out all the air. This will prevent contaminants from flash freezing inside the cyl. It sounds like you may have a problem with the opd valve. Really, they are junk and I see tons of problems with them. A new valve installed will cost about $20. Most cylinders actually dont even have to be purged anymore. They are vacuum purged at the factory now. In defense of the kid at the store, they may not have been set up to purge or he may not have been properly trained by the provider. I have pulled all the purge systems from my cabinets and have told the various stores they cannot purge. Purging MUST be done with vapor only.

Proper purging is done with a purge tank ( 20 lb tank with some valves attached to it). The purge tank is hooked up to the new tank. Propane vapor is added to the new tank. The new tank is then vented of that vapor and the process is repeated at least three times.

I have watched them purged a tank but it has been a few years. I know there is is a screw that they open after they have added a little propane. If it was me I would go to a place that fills tanks and make sure they know that it needs to be purged before they even try to fill. Might have to do a little searching or make a few calls but at least it will be done right.

Funny,I just looked at 5lb tanks and just could not pull the trigger when they cost almost twice as much as a 20lb tank.

JIm, I have purchased 3 used ones and got them all for under $20. I have a friend that has a propane shop and he gets them in at times and he gets them for next to nothing since they needed the newer valve.

I get them from him for $20, that's with a new OPD valve. I would check some shops if you know someone who works there. I know they get them in from time to timeand I get them as there is not alot of demand for this size.

yes, they are way spendy new from a store.