• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
slurpie

Electronics fo two season.

What Would be a good unit in 5 or 7 inch screen to use for summer and winter. Thinking it needs gps , so summer can be used as chart plotter and front mount unit. And then bring in winter so I have a locator and gps I one unit.

I have been having good luck with a Lowrance Elite 5. They sell them in a ice pack and to use in the summer you would just have to purchase a transducer. The mount on the ice pack will mount on your boat, also the internal gps is nice to share summer and winter hot spots.

I've had them all and I'd say HDS-5 and don't go with a 7" screen as it will not fit in a soft pack.

But really it depends on what you have on the back of the boat because you should network the two units together (IMO of course).

Thats the good part i dont have a main one yet so am open to either. are the lake maps good on the lowrance? I'll have to get some where and check them all out. the touch screen hds lowrance look good.

I put a HB 798ci HD on my boat last spring because my 12 year old finder was getting flakey. I didn't consider using the new hummer this winter, but thought it would be nice to use the gps and lakefinder maps, so I rigged it for use on my snowmobile (gps & maps). Then I thought I might as well go ahead and get the portable case and spare transducer for it so I would have a spare portable unit (other is a HB ice 45) for when fishing with my son, daughter or wife. Turns out I really like using the 798 in the ice mode and haven't turned my Ice 45 at all this winter. If you can spend the extra bucks for a unit like the 798 that has side scanning sonar (in boat only), I'd recommend it ... it really helps find structure/rocks, etc without having to go right over it. I learned a lot of new spots to fish this past summer because of the side scanning sonar.

The Lowrance 2012 Lake Insight (chip, not preloaded Insight) is exactly the same as the Lakemaster chip from 2011 for sure. I have both of those chips and I have compared them side by side and they are identical.

Ive been using my HDS 5 this winter and so far I like it. I dont use the GPS on it much since I have an HDS 7 mounted on my ATV. Still fine tuning with the settings, but it has worked great except for when I was in the house where my buddy had his camera down then I couldnt pick up my bait through the clutter from the camera, but I didnt mess the with settings too much just got out of the house.

I put a HB 798ci HD on my boat last spring because my 12 year old finder was getting flakey. I didn't consider using the new hummer this winter, but thought it would be nice to use the gps and lakefinder maps, so I rigged it for use on my snowmobile (gps & maps). Then I thought I might as well go ahead and get the portable case and spare transducer for it so I would have a spare portable unit (other is a HB ice 45) for when fishing with my son, daughter or wife. Turns out I really like using the 798 in the ice mode and haven't turned my Ice 45 at all this winter. If you can spend the extra bucks for a unit like the 798 that has side scanning sonar (in boat only), I'd recommend it ... it really helps find structure/rocks, etc without having to go right over it. I learned a lot of new spots to fish this past summer because of the side scanning sonar.

+1

Additionally, the maps are better. wink