• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep humps for crappies

Doctor J

Hi guys,

I was on a walleye and crappie lake the other day, checking ice and identifying structure. Didn't bring a rod, just the auger, gps and vexilar. This lake has deep humps, like 40 ft humps in 70 ft of water. I marked fish on these humps, 5-6 ft off bottom. They could have been perch, walleyes, tulibees, anything. I was looking for walleye spots. Has anyone ever found crappies on deep humps like that? I normally fish the deep holes for them in winter, but was curious to hear any experience on deep reef/hump structure.

Thanks

I also fish in 40 feet for crappies, but usually in a deep hole on a lake. My question had to do with structure. Has anyone ever found crappies in the winter on deep humps in deeper water (40 ft hump in 60-70 feet water)? I've never looked before.

Just curious.

A couple of lakes come to mind when I read this... One in particular we've fished for many years, and always seem to find the fish in 24-28' of water, on a hump, which is surrounded by 32-44' of water. Awesome at times. When the hatches are going on, a bonanza will occur. Whitefish, walleyes, crappies, perch... they all come up on that hump to play.

Another lake we find the crappies in 23' of water on a hump which is surrounded by 40' of water. They are always there, or just off the edge.

I know it's not the same depths, but depths are relative to the lake you are fishing. I would definitely hit the aforementioned area. Sounds money...

I agree with Matt. I see this phenomenom happen on several deeper lakes that have whitefish populations. Usually a mud hump, actually clay with bug hatches occuring. Because of the depths you are talking this is my guess. But I have also had success as Matt has already stated where the depths are half of that.

Good luck