• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decal Question

I have put them on over thread to. I think it helps for the space to apply your decal to, plus I only have a black laser printer. I put one coat of finish on and then I used water slide decals. I trim close to the lettering and make sure there is no corners. It needs to be all rounded corners. With water slide I will let it sit for a day before I put on any more finish. So far, knock on wood, no problems

I've been trying to make my own decals and apply them to ice blanks with little success. I made my own using clear inkjet printable labels. The decals have only been words, (peoples names and rod size etc.) I've been using Size 8 or 9 font to get the right size. I've tried cutting the decal so it is just as tall as the lettering. When I do this, it doesn't adhere to the rod, so I tried cutting them so that they would wrap around the rod more, and they would lift on the edges with that method as well. I've been putting the decals over light colored thread because you can't read them on the black rod blank. I just ordered water slide paper and I plan on trying that, but was wondering if you guys wrap the decal all the way around the rod or if you cut it so it's the same size as the lettering. I'm going to try to get a bottle of micro set to see if that will work for me. Does the micro set or the CP just act as an adhesive, or does it make the decal more pliable?

The Micro set will wrinkle the decal a bit after it is applied, so yes, more pliable. The direction say to not work them out as they will lay flat. My findings are yes, they do. Sure makes it easy to move the decal to center it.

May be an easier way than the way I do but I have been very happy with my results. I guess that is all that really matters.

The guy that makes my name decals are only the size of the decal. Now, if I have a decal made with much more like pictures or anything else, then they wrap around the blank.

Chad Huderle of Huderle Custom rods makes my decals and I could not ask for a better job. Chad does an awesome job.