• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Regulator help please

BuckSutherland

SO I had the wheelhouse sitting in the drive last 2 weeks. Tried to fire up the furnace this morn. It wouldnt light. Went outside and it was leaking propane from the regulator. I brought regulator in and put a blowdryer on it for about half an hour and got all the ice and water out of it and dried out. Put it back on. And furnace started right up. Now when I go out by regulator there is still a leaking nosie comming from the little mesh steel screen while the furnace has been running.

1. Is that normal to be leaking some or do I need to be concerned?

2. Is the regulator still good?

3. There was one connection I had to break and pipe dope back up. Do I need to spray some soap on there to see if it leaks?

Thanks

I believe the screened area is a relief port and you will hear the gas passing thru, it is normalIt also should be pointed down so it can be clear from debris.

It is a very good idea to test all connections for leaks weather you pulled it apart or left it alone.

Soap and water will work, but I would wait until it is above freezing with that mixture. I know they do make a mixture for checking leaks that will not freeze to the connection as well,Not sure what it is called. I have added a little anti-freeze in my soap water solution for checking with out any problems in the past, like after I have moved my perms on the lake.

Hope this helps

I have the screened area pointed down and back towards the house. I checked the conection with hot water and soap. There were no leaks. I dont remember hearing that hissing sound out of the regulator before, but I have never really paid atention. The heater worked and heated the house up, but I thought it took longer than normal.

is there something in there that would rust up and not work properly?

If you tested it and it is not leakng its just the sound of the gas passing thru the regulator your hearing. If it is leaking out of the screen then the relief valve is open and as was stated its easier and cheaper to replace it.