• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ok need some help on these fans please

Boar

Just tried one of the computer fans an these things are way to flipping powerful, an I mean way! dose anyone have specifics on computer fans that ur using in ur perm. cause there is a jillion of them out there an dont know wat to use. the fn i got is a five inch fan but it could blow a sail boat agint the wind. Are u simply using the one that u take right out of a hard drive? which would be a like a 2.5 inch fan. Any help would be great. thanks

Thanks rang, an welcome to the forum! Hers my next uestion, after doing some research onthem, itsobvious that there are diffeent sizes per application, my fans are 12v 2.78A would one the size u'd use for a dimmer on a kitchen light work? Hw dose one detrmine wat size to use?

You can use most any standard dimmer. A standard household dimmer is probably rated at 15 amps. Add the amp rating of all the fans you are planning to use and try not to go over that 15 amp rating. Also make sure the wiring is capable of handling 15amps. Also an inline fuse or circuit breaker rated at 15 amps is always a good idea.

You could simply add a resistor inline to knock down the speed. These fans require a minimum 5v to start. By calculating your amps it looks like around a 30ohm X 1/2 watts would be a good place to start. The resistor will get warm as it bleeds off the excess juice, so give it some space.

A house rheostat sound pretty bulky for your application.

Another idea is to use a $.50 potentiometer or "pot" from the radio place.

Then you can control the fan's speed.

r9juh4.png

a pottentiometer? is that the picture u have there? doing research looks just like a rheostat. Yeah the fans might be over kill, their not to loud I think they were rated for 180cfm i questoned that but since I didnt know where to begin with computerfans, an the little hard drive ones from PC's seem to small I figured these would be the ticket. thanks for all the help guys like learning this stuff.

Ok so hears the deal, I decide to ruffly istall things to get a better idea of wat going on instead of just holding the fan in my hand and saying WOW thses things are to powerful, I hooked everything up an an mounted the about 2inches from the cieling, an fired them up. at first I thought to much power. So I turned on the heater to medium, now granted im in my back yard an not on the lake on over ice, but its still 26 degrees out but no wind. any way I put a thermomter on the floor after about an hour of the fans runnning an it the floor temp read 70 degrees, plus the fans seem to be pushing the same temperature air, when I first started them they pushing cool air but the air has equalized an circulated enough so that their pushing equal temps. I think its time to dance! Still gointo get a rheostat I like thae idea of controlling flow. Thanks for everyones help, Good luck fihing! Later , boar