• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Tip-Ups what's everybody using.

Sam Smith

I run Frabill Arctic Fire tip-ups with 30 lb tip-up line with a fast snap on the end. Then I make 3 ft leaders out of 14 lb vanish with a size 4 treble on one end and a small barrel swivel on the other. Split shot a foot up from the hook. I remove my leaders and store them on a chunk of funoodle with my tip-ups for easy changing.

Frabill round thermal.

I tie about 4' length of 14-17 Flouro onto my tip up line then add a snap. When fishing eyes I run a 3' piece of 6lb ice line a single hook to match bait size, add split shots as necessary.

If Im fishing pike I just snap a wire leader onto the fluoro and still have a bit of stealth from the standard black tip up line.

Don't you need a bead, leaf blade, spinner or something on the treble to make it legal?

read page 9 of the regulation book. trebles are now legal in Minnesota.

here is a scan of page 9 from the reg book.

full-29971-27523-full_14719_27365_screen

full-29971-27524-full_14719_27366_hookim

also read this thread it talks about this very subject.

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...n_H#Post2964285

I use a 4-6 foot leader of flouro, either 10 or 12 lb. I tie my flouro direct to my main line (dacron).

I use either a plain hook or a gem'n'eye type bait. I prefer shiner minnows over sucker minnows but will use both of them, usually won't use fatheads though unless I want to catch perch too.

I've always used a similar setup as Sam. I like to use tipup line (30lb min) it's so much easier to handle and see on the ice. Made some rigs with 12lb and others with 6lb floro if the fish are negative. You will loose some to pike but no more than dragging a crawler harness open water.

I tied some up this year without the beads and blades see if it made a difference one way or another.

Size 4 treble seems a little big? Maybe you catch bigger eyes than me grin I like a size 10, sometimes a 12, long shank if you can find them!