• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Shelter Advice

EmilyN15410

Question

I'm thinking of getting an ice shelter as a Christmas gift for my boyfriend. The one that I want to get is the Eskimo FlipMo 3 (which is the one he seemed to like the most). I have been trying to do a bit of research to see if this particular shelter would be the best option, but am having a difficult time finding any reviews on it (it must be relatively new?). A few of my concerns about it are a.) It's 6 feet long when it's packed so I'm worried that it won't fit in his truck. b.)How is the quality of the poles/shelter itself? Is it something that will last for several years? c.)Are the seats that come along with it completely removeable or do they just fold down?

If anyone wants to give me any kind of feedback about the Flipmo it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to get the wrong one!

5 answers to this question

Emily... I don't have any experience with that fish house in particular but thought I would post a reply since no one else has. At six feet long it may be a squeeze to get into his pickup depending on what kind he has, but I would think you could get it in. I would assume the seats can be removed somehow, even if it means busting out some tools. It is a heavy shelter at 108 pounds, so if he fishes by himself a lot it may be tough to load into his truck. I have only used otter fish houses and couldnt be happier. They have the best sleds on the market and their poles and canvas are very good as well. All I know is this... if my girlfriend were getting me a flipover house for Xmas I wouldn't be picky! I'd be happy with the eskimo flipmo for sure! Whatever you get I am sure he will love it, and the fact that he seemed to like this one the most means he will most likely LOVE to get it as a gift.

If he has a ford 4 door truck, unless superduty, it likely won't fit. Same with Chev 4 door (meaning 4 true doors, not ext cab doors). If extended cab, it should fit just about any box.

I am sure it will last many years, unless he treats it very poorly, which I doubt smile

Good luck!

I'm thinking of getting an ice shelter as a Christmas gift for my boyfriend. The one that I want to get is the Eskimo FlipMo 3 (which is the one he seemed to like the most). I have been trying to do a bit of research to see if this particular shelter would be the best option, but am having a difficult time finding any reviews on it (it must be relatively new?). A few of my concerns about it are a.) It's 6 feet long when it's packed so I'm worried that it won't fit in his truck. b.)How is the quality of the poles/shelter itself? Is it something that will last for several years? c.)Are the seats that come along with it completely removeable or do they just fold down?

If anyone wants to give me any kind of feedback about the Flipmo it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to get the wrong one!

since you are from duluth I would recommend stopping in at marine general and talk to one of the sales people. they should be able to help you and they could show you all the different brand houses they have forsale.

I have been using the Clam X-2 and Voyagers for a few years now. After filtering through alot of other huts, I have settled on these. They are durable, tight and Clams customer service is second to none. I am a guide in Colorado and pull these sleds for miles and put them up in some very high winds. With temps falling in the -40 range then winds coming up at 50 mph on other days, the Clams have never failed me. Good luck with your decision.

I took a look at the Eskimo HSOforum to get the specs on the house to see where it compares to others. It looks like a nice house for the money but the seat system looks like the weakest point in the shelter. I have sat on seats similar to those and they have never had the strength and stability I look for. Three wide in a 6' shelter is a tight squeeze. I have an older Clam Guide 2 person house that is 5 feet long and that is tight for two people.

I just helped a buddy put together a new Jason Mitchell Thermal X from Clam and that is a sweet house. It is a bit more off the shelf, but comes with all the accessories that you will end up buying anyway. The seats are superb, slide left to right, front to back, and swivel. Heavy duty boat type seats that will last a long time. I also really like the fabric color of the Jason Mitchell Thermal X, a nice light gray. When you are fishing during the day, the sunlight will filter through the fabric, with the gray everything will look pretty close to natural colors and it will be nice and bright. The Red of that Eskimo is going to give you a wicked color cast inside the house. It may not matter to some, but that is something that I pay attention to. I want my fish pictures to be awesome.

Hope some of the bits and pieces I have mentioned might help you make your decision or at least give you some extra points to consider when purchasing a portable shelter.

Take care,

Tom