• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rocky Mountain National Park in July

By luck of the draw, I get the company condo in Granby, CO for a week in July. I am hoping to spend a fair amount of time hiking the trails of the park in search of wildlife. Really hoping to get a chance to see moose, elk, and rocky mountain sheep. The bit of research I have done is leading me to spend some time searching the Kawuneechee Valley Trail for a chance to see Moose and to head north to Estes Park area in search of Elk.

Right now lenses include a 20-35 f2.8L, 50 f1.4, and 70-200 f4L. I am considering picking up a 400 f5.6L or 300 f4L IS for the trip. And if purchase isn't in the cards, at least renting one of them. Which would be a better choice in everyone's opinion? I would like to get into a bit of motorsports stuff in the future too, so that is something to maybe consider as well. I am leaning towards the 300 and maybe a 1.4 tele to round it out. Shooting 1D mkII.

Also, if you have been out to RMNP and have any trail suggestions, please do tell. Really looking forward to it. Will be my son's first big trip too. He will be 7 and is really excited to see some wildlife and the mountains.

Thanks.

Iv'e basically got the same lens line up as you as well as the 300 f/4 IS. Most of my photography is retriever events hunt tests and field trials. I really like the lens sharp, fast ect. but i struggle with the fixed focal length, and find my self using the 70-200 more often than the 300. I baught this lens used it's in great shape and have considered selling it more than once, mainly because it sits in the case most of the time. For my uses a tele is much more practical than a prime..

If you are up for a drive one day, I've hunted in the Mtns around Rand ( about 35 miles from Grandby ) and I've seen Sheep up there, should be an interesting drive, you can find all 3 species you are looking for in that area, North Park is a hot bed for Moose and Moose viewing in Colorado.

There's a Moose Visitors Center in the town of Gould, a bit of a drive but it might be worth while. The town of Walden has a Forestry office on the north side of town, I'm sure they would be helpful too.

If you do a google search for North Park and the animals you are looking for, you might get some good results ( if you haven't already done so ).

Mike

Tom, we got some great shots at Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge. It's just outside Denver and worth stopping by.

R.M. Nat'l Park was good for elk and moose, and that's for me as a ham and egger. You'll do awesome I'm sure. Should be lots of wildflowers going that time of year too.

I'd seriously look into a fishing license...the cutthroats are a blast and if you can flop a dry fly out, you'll probably do just fine in some mountain lake.

Hey Scott, good thinking. We were looking into prices for airfare and rental cars and then compared that to what it would cost to drive. All things considered I think driving is what we will be doing. And if we drive, I can easily pack a rod and try to catch a couple of fish. Hunter would love to catch a trout I am sure. Now I just gotta find a couple fly rods. Geez.

Todd and Mike, thanks for the info and opinions. I am really excited for this trip and a few extra miles to get to an area with maybe a few less people than RMNP might be worth it. I will certainly look into those other areas. Found out that a good buddy is dating a girl here in MN who grew up in Granby. So they will be a wealth of information as well.

Did a family trip in 2007 to Estes. Saw a lot of nice wildlife searching around the backroads as well as in RMNP on the tourist routes. I don't remember the name of the tour road but the big loop had great wildlife sitings.

I didn't have a camera at the time other than a point and shoot but the best day for me was a day the 3 dads took a hike up to Fern Lake for some trout fishing. It was 4.8 miles up the mountain and took about 2 hours to hike but when we came up and out of the trail where we could see the lake, it was unbelievable. What I wouldn't have given to have had a dslr at the time. Fishing was fantastic by the way and don't go without a fly rod. Stop at a place I think was called Scot's fly shop in Estes to pick up a few flies and hit the streams or mountain lakes. Here is a point and shoot or two of fern lake which I highly recommend but may be a bit much for your 7 year old. It was pretty high altitude at least enough for me to really notice when climbing uphill.

full-334-26902-colorado2007105.jpg

full-334-26903-colorado2007125.jpg

ccarlson