• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

AR-15 lower

I am curious as to what you need to look for when buying an AR lower. I want to build a ar-15. Once I started looking at stripped lowers I noticed there are some price differences, are some made out of a better metal? Thanks for the reply's.

for the most part as long as it's milspec they are gtg...a lot of the time you're just paying for a roll mark or name..obviously billets are more money than forged...I have a spikes and a stag and I just bought two 80% lowers to finish later if need be...most places are out of stock on stripped so if you do find 1, buy it...Palmetto State Armory is a good source and cheap!

what makes slr lowers superior to other forged receivers?

The finish Machining process.

Broached Magwells,Magazine Well Grip Enhancement,Trigger Over-Travel Adjustment and all the other little details.

Compare a SLR15 lower to any other lower out there. Specifically look at the threads that the buffer tube threads into, notice that the buffer tube threads go all the way through past the buffer retaining detent. When the threads go past the buffer retaining detent, this indicates that this was most likely threaded using a tap. When a tap is used for this machining step, it could possibly be off in any one direction which could cause the buffer tube to be off in any one direction. If the buffer tube is off in any one direction it could cause the bolt carrier assembly to rub against the inside of the buffer tube. You will notice that the threads stop about half way through the buffer detent area on a SLR15 lower.

When they machine the top of the receiver they establish this as the datum from which all other machining steps are based. When they machine the top of the receiver and establish this datum, the buffer tube is drilled then bored, which gives them a True Position Tolerance of less than .0001" that the buffer tube is kept in line with.

I am a machinist and have seen an SLR15 lower machined.

The attention to detail is amazing.