• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying a used snowblower?

minnesotahusker

I'm sure where to put this question, so I'll start here. I'm looking at getting a used MTD snowblower, 8 hp, 26" cutting path. Late 90's model. What should a guy look for when buying used. I was told the previous owner was a small engine guy and transplanted the motor from a bad rig to this one(bad motor, good body,, bad body, good motor) type of scenario. The guy said it starts right up and everything works. What about auger problems that could arise?

The problem with MTD's is the parts availability. I have been told that too often a part that should cost a few dollars is not available and so the unit is a yard ornament. I think I would try and find a rig like a Toro or something in that order if I was going used. Look for a unit that has zerks to grease, pick it up and see if the tires are loose, check the auger and see if it jiggles around or is sloppy side to side.

I also would not be afraid to buy used. If you think about it they don't get that much use. I bet the average is close to 25 hours a year. I just would want to make sure that parts were available.

The problem with MTD's is the parts availability. I have been told that too often a part that should cost a few dollars is not available and so the unit is a yard ornament. I think I would try and find a rig like a Toro or something in that order if I was going used. Look for a unit that has zerks to grease, pick it up and see if the tires are loose, check the auger and see if it jiggles around or is sloppy side to side.

I also would not be afraid to buy used. If you think about it they don't get that much use. I bet the average is close to 25 hours a year. I just would want to make sure that parts were available.

+1. If you buy an MTD (or other big box brand) have a snowplow guy's card on your fridge if it breaks. Or at least know of a service shop that'll guarantee a quick turn around.

Other than that, keep looking until you find the right situation. Look at the property. Is everything else on the property junk? Does everything else look meticulously maintained?

You should be able to walk up to a blower and know if it's good or not. If it doesn't look right, or seem like it's a good fit, it isn't.

I buy used blowers off of C's list all the time. I've walked away more than once on something that was a steal. It didn't seem like everything added up. It could have just been me, and I passed on something to make money with, but I need to be able to sleep at night too.

I have a used MTD (2004) that I bought used. I have had no issues purchasing auger parts via their HSOforum, and using their online diagrams, etc. Once I was unable to tell which part I to pick (from the diagram) so I called customer service and they did a great job of assisting.

I agree that a little care/caution/common sense should be used before purchasing, but I wouldn't disregard a purchase altogether -- obtaining the parts I needed was far easier than has been described.

Good luck!

I buy used blowers off of C's list all the time. I've walked away more than once on something that was a steal. It didn't seem like everything added up. It could have just been me, and I passed on something to make money with, but I need to be able to sleep at night too.

Back when I was working there was a guy who would steal any snowblower he could get his hands on. I can't remember his name but if there was a snowblower stolen within 3 miles of Univ and Dale he was the man.