• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow conditions

jbjr

Any ideas on snow conditions from Hincley to Duluth or Two Harbors???
Hoping to head up somewhere friday morning for the last time.
Any ideas of a good hotel???
Thanks.

From MN DNR HSOforum for St. Croix State Park out of Hinkley:

"Snowmobile trails in the park will be open for the weekend, but will be CLOSED AFTER SUNDAY 3/21. Snowmobile trails are in fair condition at best, and there was no grooming done this week."

jbjr-

Don't give up the ride yet!

Here in the Ely area we still have lots of snow, and with temps near zero at night, it doesn't look like it will be melting to soon. Staked lake trails and portages are still all in good shape.

This past Friday we snowmobiled the lakes from Ely to Lake Vermilion. The trails in between were still very good.

Saturday, 12 members of the Ely Igloo Snowmobile Club trailered to Crane Lake and rode to Lac La Croix (need Remote Area Border Crossing permit- RABC). Had a great ride to the pictographs, built a fire and had lunch.

This weekend we are planning to trailer to Silver Bay to ride the trails around there. We would ride from Ely, but you're pretty stuck without wheels getting to restaurants. We'll be just staying one night at the new American Inn.

The Finland area has alot of snow, more than the Ely area. We're not ready to quit riding yet. A couple more rides are definitely in our plans.

------------------
***Let it snow!***

Support the Sport - Join a Club!!!

Wow, I wish I lived up there. I put the sled away over a month ago. Here in West Central MN we waiting for the ice to come off the lakes.

Sure wish I could get that one last snowmobile ride in.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

It's over! We blew our last chance to ride this past Friday and Saturday. We listened to the forecasts, which were totally wrong. Said it was going to be in the 50s and rain. Both Friday and Saturday didn't even reach 40 degrees. Bummer!

Our mindset is now in the 'riding is over' mode. Maintenance on the sleds has begun. Changing bearings and recharging shocks.

Until new season.

------------------
***Let it snow!***

Support the Sport - Join a Club!!!

We just got back from Cooke City, its a short trackers dream up there right now.

I don't know if this will work but I'll try a couple pics.

Mike

cooke2.jpg

cooke1.jpg

[This message has been edited by MN Mike (edited 03-29-2004).]

It is LOTS of fun, especially in the spring time, nobody around and usually some great riding, we were out there 2 years ago on Apr. 18 and it was probably some of the best riding I have ever had out there, really good solid base and we were riding on about 18" of powder, I took a picture and we could claim every track in the picture as ours, absolutly great. If you do go riding in the spring you have to keep a close eye on the weather and some other things and be ready to go at a moments notice, hit it right and you will never forget it.

6 years of riding in the mountains and I haven't been disappointed yet.

Mike