• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Had to put my old hunting partner down

Arago

Had to put my best buddy & hunting partner to sleep the other day. Gunther, a male chocolate lab, was the most enthusiastic, fantastic rooster dog. Any hunter who owns a dog, someday faces that awful day. At almost 13 he had joined me in many hunts thru out the years. And waited for me with tail wagging when I'd get home from work. I don't know if there is anything harder than making a decision to put a dog down. For selfish reasons I guess I could have waited. But he could not hunt, had trouble breathing and was dis-orientated.

A new pup will come someday. But not now. Emotions are to raw. As many of you know: who have had and lost a dog, there is nothing like it. The best part of hunting is being with your dog. So... for those of you with a dog in it's prime, cherish each time out.

Hey that is too bad. I know the feeling and it is one of the toughest things about having dogs. I have always had 2 yellow labs. They are 4 or 5 years apart. That way when I have to put one to sleep I still have the other one to help my wife and I. Then I get another pup to take the place of the older one. It makes the cycle easier for us. I know everyone can't have 2 dogs but it works for us.

I take a day or two off work when the bad day comes. Too traumatic for me. Just want to be alone.....

So this is not about me. This is your loss. My heart is out to you and I hope you remember your buddy with good thoughts and eventually get on with new vibes. Good luck to you Arago!!!!

Arago,

A tough day indeed. Hope the grief is easing ever so slightly. You did right bt Gunther. They get to a point where our decisions are easily clouded and WE do not want to let them go, but we must.

One of the cruelest things nature has done to man is making the lifespan of our dogs so short!

Hang in there, soon a new pup will be by your side and Gunther will be running the fields in spirit with you and the new pup...

Godspeed Gunther!

Ken

I put my old boy down last December. I can tell you this; the hole in your heart will slowly close up. You'll start to smile when you think of him instead of tearing up.

Even though I have a new pup as of June, I still cherish the memories of the old one. Man...one last hunt would be great!

Hang in there...

I've followed HSO (different reason, fishing related) for some time and never had the intentions of creating a profile, until now.

My wife once said to me a dog will always break your heart...given one day you have to let them go.

As much as it kills me to think my little 3 year old girl Ellie will one day do the same, it warms the heart to read all of the posts and how others can empathize. As I simply couldn't imagine life without her...just surreal.

Seems you had a great companion in Gunther. My sympathies for your loss and my respect for the memories he has most certainly created for you.

I certaintly do! You pretty much it on all of them. There are distinct visuals in my mind of many solo hunts with Gunther (Gunny). After his first bumbleing year afield, he became a absolute wonderful pheasent hunting dog. He would be beside himself when I would take out the shotgun and orange hunting vest the night before a trip! Once at our destination (usually in SW MN) he would leap out the kennel and be all business. I remember distictly many of our hunts. One in particular was him rousting out a rooster from very thick cattails, he was a bulldozer. Since he has been gone (about two weeks now) what pains me most is returning home from work and he is not waiting for me, as he always did. There is a real void there. I have not yet been out for roosters yet as I am in a construction field and usually don't go until Thanksgiving. When I go out with a friend who has dogs, I know it will be a thoughtful rather sad outing.

I know you can get a new dog. But you can never replace one. I think if we remembered the heartbreak of losing a true friend we would balk at getting a new one. But the joy of walking with a dog in the field, watching him work the cover, outweighs the eventual ways of life. Thank you for asking the question. Excuse my rambleing.

Ramble on man, always good to talk about the ones we loved (even if it's the ones that have four legs and a tail that could clear a table).

I'm with you on the coming home. While recanting a flush or retrieve with friends, I find coming coming home to her face and wagging tail to be what I adore...impossible not to love a labs face.

Hope you are able to get out in the field this year and knock a few out of the sky for Gunny.

I'll keep my eyes posted for the pictures of your new little bundle of pheasant hunting joy someday in the future.

Trust me, I feel your pain. Lost my beautiful Annie less than a month ago to darned cancer. She was 7 and a sweeter dog I have never owned; nor smarter-and I've had a LOT of dogs.

The pain goes away. Annie is never gone....she is always in my heart, along with all the other guys and girls I've owned since the 50's. You will find a few favorite moments that will keep your pal alive too.

I have always said one of life's dirty little tricks is the fact that we get so many years and they get so few.

You'll feel better in a month or so. And who knows, maybe a new pal will come along.

There isn't anything harder to do. The memories will live on forever. We all feel for you in these hard times. Unreal how loyal our best friends are and what they really do for us. They are much more than just a hunting dog. No matter if you have a bad day or a good day. When you get home they do their best to make sure the day ends up good!

RIP Gunther.