• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alcohol in gas from station or Heet

Captain Ken

Everyone I know curses the city because you can't get gas without alcohol added to it (i.e., non-oxygenated gas). They claim that the alcohol deteriorates the engine and fuel system, especially the rubber parts.

So, if alcohol is so bad, why do some people, including some of the ones who curse alcohol laced gas from the station, go up to the Northwoods, buy non-oxygenated and then swear by adding Heet to the tank.

It does not seem to make sense, if alcohol is so bad.

Also, you recommend running Heet (the RED kind which says it is OK for 2 and 4 strokes) in the tank if you buy non-oxy fuel? If you buy fuel in the city, do you need to add Heet, 'cause it has alcohol in it already!?

Signed,
Confused Captain Ken grin.gif

------------------
Captain Ken Kessler
www.captainken.com
www.muskieschool.com
Guiding in Illinois and North East Minnesota
847-970-9108 Illinois
218-742-4680 Minnesota

Theres no need to add Heet (isopropyl alcohol) to oxy-gas in your car or small engine. If you run oxy-gas in your sleds you for sure don't want to add Heet. I store my small engines with unoxy-gas and a fuel stabilizer then run them in the off season. Oxy-gas breaks down faster so thats why its recommended to use unoxy-gas with a fuel stabilizer in seasonal equipment where gas gets old. Yes some older engines have gaskets, diaphragms, o-rings and hoses that break down with oxy-gas. If you want to use unoxy-gas without using Heet, fill your gas cans and let any water settle to the bottom of the can where it'll freeze, then fill your tank.

Thanks ST!

I prefer the unoxy gas myself for all my generators, snowblowers, boat and stuff. New to snowblowing, so was not sure.

Just trying to sort out the confusion....

The gas stations in the city (where I live -JUST FOR NOW grin.gif ) do BIG business selling Heet to add to the already "alcohol fortified" gas. It always seemed unnecessary to me since all the pumps say "Contains up to 10% alcohol" but everyone keeps a pourin' and a spendin'.
Only thing I ever put in the tank of my car/truck is 1) gas 2) occasional injectory cleaner. To be honest, I'm not even sure the injector cleaner does a darn thing.

Thanks again!

Ken

I usually get my alcohol from Walgreens, the 91% stuff. If there is water present, and not enogh alcohol, it turns slushy, and in the winter it will then freeze hoses or in carb jets because of the airflow cooling effect. Some carburetors have added heaters, electric or water cooled to minimize/keep any ice from forming. In Minnesota, there is at least 10 percent alcohol unless the pump says it does not contain it at all. Many small engines nowadays have fixed jets, and alcohol is not as efficient a fuel and needs bigger jets to keep the engine from running lean. Add to this the "oxygenated" fuel adding oxygen to the combustion process and it gets even leaner. Colder temperatures thicken air and it squeezes it even more. Older engines can compensate by turning the carb screws out, but newer cars and the like with fuel injection detect the amount of oxygen burn and adjust "jetting" automatically.