• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

merc issue help?

hamms-scooter

Motor is a 1983 merc 50 hp tiller. Yesterday I was out running all over the lake. I went to leave the final spot and it popped the boat up like normally does and then lost power. It kinda just bogged out. It idles fine in gear and n. I revved it up in n just fine but put it in gear and it doesn't have any power.The more throttle I give it the more it chokes out bogs down. I got fresh fuel yesterday non oxy as normal. Before yesterday it had been a few weeks since I was out last. Like I stated I run non oxy. Any I deas? Have not checked plugs yet got home yesterday and couldn't get to it at that time.

Do you use an external tank? If so, the vent must be open. All the way. It can rattle shut or slightly closed, causing exactly the symptoms you are talking about. I bet that is it smile We put a loose zip tie under that vent in ours, to keep it ALWAYS open. As you know, the motor is thirsty enough that you don't need to worry about condensation, as you are filling with new gas enough, haha!

BTW - our 50 was started yesterday (duck hunting big water) for the first time since about labor day, and started and ran like new smile but with new gas.

Box as it happened on the lake that was first thing I checked was wide open. I am going to get a fuel pump rebuild kit as Gordie said. His did the same thing and that was the fix for him. You were not joking that this 50 likes the gas wowzer! eek runs good though other then this issue. Lots of power and plenty fast for my 16 ft lowe. Love the sound of it.

Box as it happened on the lake that was first thing I checked was wide open. I am going to get a fuel pump rebuild kit as Gordie said. His did the same thing and that was the fix for him. You were not joking that this 50 likes the gas wowzer! eek runs good though other then this issue. Lots of power and plenty fast for my 16 ft lowe. Love the sound of it.
Have you checked the fuel pump to see if its working? No sense throwing parts at any motor till its been thoroughly checked.There are a number of things that would make the motor run that way.Fuel line sucking air,tank vent clogged,Carb clogged,the two mentioned above,Tank screen clogged,plugs,elect.short On and on May get costly just guessing.I been there and learned to check and find the problem.