• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda Motor Choice

Northdrifter

I'm looking for advice, or someone with experience or knowledge on the Honda 60hp with the RPM Step down for trolling, and would it be worth purchasing this? or should I purchase the 75hp? confused and it's going to be a tiller...

I'm looking to put this on my 04 16.5' Lund Pro Angler tiller...

At the present, I have a 50hp Honda on it and it lacks the power I would like... sick It barely get's it up on plane with 3 guys and gear in it... and this was only achieved by getting a hydrofoil and a 4 blade power prop...

I do use this boat for a lot of fishing and do troll.. thus I would like the option of the step-down on the 60hp... is it worth it? I really can't afford to get another kicker for trolling and I was told maybe and 24v electric would do....???

Any advice or experiences with the 60 and 75 is appreciated... wink

Just a question, does the bow stay way out of the water? I have had this issue when I was doing some motor testing. I have a 16 ft with a 50 hp merc. Try moving more weight to the front. I can get up on plane pretty quick but if I sit right back by the motor the bow stays way up and I can't get on to plane. I would at least try this before getting a different motor.

Get the 75hp,I have the sameboat with the 75hp.and just love it. 15 pitch, 4 dlade Nemisis prop will get you 33mph with two people and a full load and troll downn to 1.8

gps.

gregg for once I am agreeing with you. In the 75 horse range a E-tech would be a great option but I would of course go with the 4 stroke yamaha. Lots of nice 75 horse motors. Even that black 4 stroke aint bad. The suzuki may be another to look at.

gregg for once I am agreeing with you. In the 75 horse range a E-tech would be a great option but I would of course go with the 4 stroke yamaha. Lots of nice 75 horse motors. Even that black 4 stroke aint bad. The suzuki may be another to look at.

True dat. I know a couple folks with 70 suzukis on pontoons and they are sweet motors.

the one thing that I think many might over look specially in a tiller boat is the power of a e-tec to push you out of the water and plane the boat out its a safty deal i never lose site over my bow

but I'm in a wheel boat but still its a thought that might be more important in a tiller specially trying to look around people in front of

you

just a thought

the one thing that I think many might over look specially in a tiller boat is the power of a e-tec to push you out of the water and plane the boat out its a safty deal i never lose site over my bow

but I'm in a wheel boat but still its a thought that might be more important in a tiller specially trying to look around people in front of

you

just a thought

So you are trying to tell us a e-tec has significantly more power than a competitive motor rated the same? I find that implausible.

The 75 e-tec is 40 pounds lighter than the honda, 320 vs 359.

Thats exactly what i'm saying..no matter how implausiable you think it is

40lbs is alot of weight on a boat that size..plus you can get by with a lighter smaller trolling motor cuz with alittle chop you are able to backtroll with the big motor..and wont need a 5 gal pal or a drift sock...the only thing to me honda has over the e-tec is it is quieter which is cool...mines 150 and at trolling speed you can easily talk over it

the more i think about it 40lbs is a ton of wieght on that boat

that 60 would power that boat to plane right now

i had a 60 on a much heavier tiller(glass boat) and it planed that boat out very fast