• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fur/hide tanning services?

mainbutter

I've been given permission to take a few small game species on the land I hunt, and may have an opportunity to take raccoon and/or fox.

I think it'd be kinda cool to get the hides tanned for use in tying flies. I love using fur in my pike/bass/musky flies. Reading up on DIY tanning, it sounds like enough work that I might just want to find someone who knows what their doing to do it for me for a bit of $.

Is this sort of thing common? How do I go about finding someone who would provide that kind of service?

if your whole intent is to use the hide for tying flies you do not need to get it tanned. just cape the animal out and flesh it really well, give it a good wash and then salt the heck out of it. The salt will pull all the moisture out and lock in the hair. You should be left with a clean dry hide that is ready to use and store for tying.

Also forgot to mention make sure to strech out the cape the way you want it before you salt it. I like to use small sticks to hold it open flat.

Many local taxidermists could tan the hide for you but that does run a few bucks.

If it is just for fly tieing, flesh the meat off the hide, salt it well and let it sit for a few days. Then shake the salt off, apply a new layer and let that sit for another 2-3 days. Cut off ALL the red meat or fat deposits of the hide before you salt it or hair will slip in those grease spots.

The hide will shrink on you unless you stretch it out before you salt and cure it.

There are chemicals to stretch the hide after salting or tanning that is another costs you more than likely do not want or the work involved.