• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas smell- built in tank

Lund79

I just bought a 1999 Alumacraft Trophy Sport 1750. It has a built in gas tank and has 2 vents on the floor. The place where I bought it said the gas tank was just filled up. I took the boat on the water for about 30 minutes and noticed a gas smell when the boat was just idling ( I had driven it for about 10 minutes before sitting idle with engine running). I also noticed a gas smell in the garage the next day. Upon vaccuming everything out, I notice the smell comoing from both vents on the floor.

I have a couple questions.

1. Is this normal for a gas smell to be this noticeable?

2. Is it because it is full?

3. When filling up, how do I know it is full? The lines that runs to the tank is about 2-3 ft long. I would think you do not want it running to the very top of the filler hose.

I opend the back hatches and the lines going into and out of the tank appear to not be leaking. I felt around other things in the back and do not notice any gas on the bottom of the boat.

I had the same problem this spring (also an Alumacraft with built in tank). I've had this boat for 7 years and have never noticed it before, but this spring it was really bad to the point where I was frightened to do anything with the battery for fear it would spark and cause an explosion. I ripped the floor out and checked every inch of tank and all hoses and I was unable to find any leaks of any kind. I attributed it to the tank being too full (why that makes any difference it a mystery to me) and I have been careful to not store it for any length of time with more than 3/4 tank of fuel and while the smell is still noticeable (especially when the hatches are open) it is not nearly what it was. I would take it out and try to use some of the gas up and see if that makes a difference before digging any deeper.

Good Luck

I agree with the vent. I really topped off my tank one time and had to hit the brakes a bit hard. Looked in the rear view mirror to see the gas pouring out the vent holes. Never really filled the tank as full after that one.

I called the place I purchased it from this morning. The mechanic had looked everything over and did not see any signs of a leak (he had the floor out too). He recommends running it to burn some fuel. I feel better knowing that he had lifted the board because I was about to do that this week.

I have always had a gas smell in my 2002 Classic 16 CS. Even took it to the factory and they could not find anything wrong. Before I bought my boat, it was stored with a cover on down in Arkansas. It got very little use and was stored for 4 years. I think it absorbed gas odor from a spill and was not allowed to breath with the cover on.

I leave my hatches open when not in use, or the smell transfers to my gear. I even tried washing it out. I filled the entire boat with water up to the floor level and added a little Frebreeze detergent. I then drove it around for about 30 min. up and down hills. It still smells, but sure got clean.

I guess my thought would be that there is a small leak in a hose or fitting. It doesn't take more than a couple of drops to get the smell going. It may only leak when the engine is running too, so that may make it harder to track the source.

Another thing to check, since I just had this issue, was that you may have a fuel/water separator that is overflowing. If you have one, check to see that it has been drained.

Update....took the boat out and cruised to get rid of some gas. Since doing this, I do not notice the smell. If I put my nose up to the floor vents I can smellgas but not anywhere near what it was. I can leave it in the garage without having a window open. Just re-affirms that it was topped off to much.

It's always an issue gassing up my boat because I hate when it fills the hose all the way up. There should be a better way, maybe there is. What do others do?

Good question. This is the first time having a built in tank. The dealer filled it up so I haven't had the pleasure yet. I asked if you wait until you can start to hear the gurgling sound when it gets full and they said that's about it.

its a phenominal question, not only do i have same gas smell if topped off to high, dont think my gas guage even works (or is ridiculously unrelible if it does) so i never know how much gas is actually in the tank. im supposed to have an 18 gal in floor tank. earlier this year it read 1/4 tank which to me is bout 4 1/2 gallons which i understand i can put another 13 in. i have a 5 gallon plastic can that i use for premixing & storing extra gas cause i never know where the tank is at. i filled can up once and dumped all 5 gal in, next time @ pump refilled can with another 5 gal and went home to add that to boat but only got can halfway emptied b4 hearing gurgling sound and have very small amount start pouring out of side of boat. one thing i do hate bout my boat is cannot understand or depend on gas guage at all, a complete guessing game to me for amount used & filling up

My gauge is totally unrealible too. I guess that is the norm with those things! Last time I turned the key on so I could read the current level in the tank. Looked like I could add about 10 gallons. I didn't want it full so I thought I would put in about five gallons. Well, that ended up filling it to the top! I hate those worthless gauges! I would do better with a dip stick.

I have an above floor 12 gallon tank with float guage. Didn't make it one year and the guage didn't work. They sent me 3 more inserts with floats. I'm on my last one. The floats don't float after a while. At first I thought it was ethinal, haven't used ethenal for 2 yrs in the boat and they still don't float. Moeller tank.