• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pop Up Heating

eyesonly

Id Like to Stay in my 12 ft Jayco pop up this weekend while staying at Ft Ripley for my Sons archery Hunt- Trying to come up with a way not to freeze as the overnight Lows are expected to be in 30s This weekend. I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could Try to answer. There is no electricty so everything will be on Battery power. If I remember correctly The Furnace Draines the Battery to Fast to make using the furnace a reliable option for two Nights with that Low of an overnight temp. Is that correct ? would I expect to use more then 20 #s of propane for two Nights ? I suppose I could use a sunflower and keep a window cracked but I hate the smell- I have a big Buddy Heater but last November It just wasnt warm enough for us without getting chilly in the Middle of the Nght. Thnaks in advance for any and all suggestions

There is no electricty so everything will be on Battery power. If I remember correctly The Furnace Draines the Battery to Fast to make using the furnace a reliable option for two Nights with that Low of an overnight temp. Is that correct ?

More than likely your furnace pulls 1.6 Amps.

A large marine battery has about 100 Amp hours.

(a typical car battery has bout 45 Amp hours)

That is 62 hours of furnace run time on the 100 Amp hour battery... (assuming you only use the battery for the furnace) also assuming optimal conditions.

Bring that 62 down to 48 hours (just to be safe) and there you have it 2 days of furnace run time.

I would say theroretically with a new large marine battery dedicated to the furnace (and some control over your thermostat) you should have no problem heating the camper for 2 days.

I don't think it would take 20 lbs of propane either.

Get your tank filled from the big tank to get the full 20 lbs.

Those exchange places only fill the propane tanks to 15 lbs.

Set it up tomorrow night and give it a try, see how long it lasts.

Use an extra battery so you don't have to worry about draining the truck starting battery.

Your furnace should be fine one one battery for the weekend. Most deep cycle batteries are 75-80 amp hrs but you should be fine if you turn the furnace off during the day.

That being said, you need to have sleeping gear rated to the temps you're going to encounter. Have the warmest sleeping bad you've got and use a blanket if needed. Wear a light cap.