• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Podcasting - Android

LwnmwnMan2

Can anyone lead me in the direction for downloading podcasts?

Here's what I want to do:

1) I want to select the local radio podcasts that I want to listen to.

2) I want to set the app to download those specific podcasts at night.

3) I want to set my smart actions on the Razr Maxx to auto turn the wi-fi on at a specific time (know how already) but then download those podcasts over wi-fi.

I guess I'm trying to use less data by streaming shows all day every day. I can see the writing on the wall, and eventually I'm most likely going to lose my unlimited data. Might as well figure out how to use less now I guess.

Check out BeyondPod.

I just downloaded the free version which gives you all the features of the premium version ($6.99) for 7 days.

It looks like it'll do everything you are asking for. It will download on wifi only if you want and will download your podcasts at a specific time, such as at night. You can also set it to download only when the phone is on a charger or a combination of various requirements that you feel that are important to how you use your phone. There is even a setting that will turn on the phone's wi-fi, update the podcasts, and then shut the wi-fi back off if you don't like leaving your wi-fi on overnight. I think it met all three of your criteria!

I did a search for "KFAN" and all the different podcasts that KFAN has of their shows popped up in the results. A simple click and I was subscribed to the Fantasy Football Weekly podcast. I set it to download the three most current podcasts of that subscribed feed but you can set it however you want. It appears to be fairly flexible.

Quote:
Lite version has all the features of the Pro version except:

Scheduling of updates will be disabled

You will be able to update only one feed at a time

You can download only one podcast at a time

When using the Lite version, you can still add feeds, update, download and play your podcasts. The main limitation is that in order to get the latest episodes, you have to manualy refresh each of your feeds using the circular "Refresh" button located in the top right corner the Feed Content View.

Looks like you'll need to purchase the pro version to keep the scheduled downloads. At least they give you 7 days to tinker with all the features enabled to see if you like it before buying.

So far I've downloaded Podkicker, it was only $2.99 for the pro version.

I have everything set up for auto download but now I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if it downloads my podcasts, as it had already downloaded them over the air earlier.

Figured if I download 8 hours of podcasts every night, I can listen to them the next day, dropping my data usage.

Biggest problem is 90% of them are going to be the 1500ESPN shows, so I'll always be a day behind in the discussions, which might be a bit annoying when people start to REALLY whine about how bad the Vikings are.