• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1500 6.2L OR 2500HD 6.0L (2013)

I have been researching forums regarding this decision and would like input on personal experiences w/ daily driving and towing. Understand mileage between two is minor.

My situation: Drive 10,000 mi/yr – Tow 8,500 lb loaded gear/people/camper (29’ Jayco w/ WD & Swaybar) less than 800 mi/yr on flatlands. Truck would be daily driver to work/pleasure.

1500 6.2L (3.73): rated 10,400 lbs trailering / 16,000 lbs GCWR – Estimated truck + camper at 13,900 lbs

2500 HD 6.0L (3.73): rated 9,400 lbs trailering / 16,000 lbs GCWR – Estimated truck + camper at 14,900 lbs

Advantages w/ 2500HD: 10.5” vs 9.5” rear end / heavier drivetrain / resale / 6.5’ box

Disadvantage w/ 2500D: Ride (Is there a large difference?) / Initial cost

I have test drove a 2500HD but difficult to determine over the long term for daily driver. Felt like more truck and stiffer ride.

Since both trucks on paper are capable of towing, is there a significant advantage w/ the 2500HD?

Thanks for your input.

For what this is worth I ALSO have a 29'jayco trailer and I had a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9l. Last year i bought a 2006 silverado 2500hd with the 6.0. Let me tell you it was night to day differance towing. When i loaded everything up my dodge would really squat even with the wd hitch system. Now the chev hardly squats. Plus it takes corners way better, at a stop light way quicker acceleration, and braking is better too. The ride when not towing is a little bit stiffer, but hey its a truck. I personally would go with the 2500. But I have never drove a brand new one yet either.

Plus if you ever change campers You could always get a heavier one {more slide outs etc} and not have to wish you didnt just go with the 3/4ton.

I have the 1500 6.2 now. Plenty of power and capable of pulling a fairly good size load. I pull a 14 ft aluminum trailer, v-nose, double axle, 6ft high, 7ft wide, 3900# loaded. It pulls ok but milage is around 9-10 at 55mph. It does use gas. Truck alone will run 17-19 with no wind. I also added a extra leaf spring for the trailer load. It does take away a little of the soft ride but still better than the 2500.

Now, I also had the 2500 truck you describe pulling the same trailer. MPG would run 10-12 at 55mph. This truck did not seem to work as hard as my current one and the ride is alot rougher.

The 2500's are made heavier and dont feel like your "stressing" them when pulling or hauling a load.

Personally I would go with the 2500 for pulling the camper. One thing to consider is it will only get 10 or so mpg no matter how you drive it, pulling or not. I switched to the 1500 for the ride and the better mpg when not pulling. Th 6.2 motor still gives me the power I want when I need it.

If you want power to pull AND better milage then you might look at the Duramax diesel 2500. Then again your looking at more $$ and higher fuel prices. The diesels do get pretty good milage for a big truck.

One main difference between a 2500 and a 1500 would be the Allison tranny on the 2500. The 6.2 will have a 6 spd tranny and its a really really good one, but not and allison.

I have a 2007 Denali with the 6.2 and your comment about "mileage being similar" I highly doubt. The 6.2 is far and away superior on fuel. Fully loaded they are all going to stink, but unloaded you will get considerably better mileage.

I realize I mentioned the 6.2 does not have an allison, but I will tell you that when you put it in tow/haul mode you do get a "tranny brake" mechanism with the 6.2. Scared the dump out of me the first time I experienced it, but now its quite fun!

Overall driving-wise you will really like the 6.2 over the 6.0. Put some long tube headers and a power commander and you would be pushing 450hp and still getting close to 19mpg (unloaded of course). I have gotten 20mpg with mine driving like a grandma. Around town I average 15.5. Towing a 19 foot boat I get 14 going interstate speeds (75).

One main difference between a 2500 and a 1500 would be the Allison tranny on the 2500. The 6.2 will have a 6 spd tranny and its a really really good one, but not and allison.

The Allison transmission only comes with the diesel (Duramax) option.

The Allison transmission only comes with the diesel (Duramax) option.

Hmm, I havent researched these in a couple years, but I know you used to be able to get it with the big gas engines provided it was in the HD chassis. The "regular" chassis isnt wide enough for it to fit.

Hmm, I havent researched these in a couple years, but I know you used to be able to get it with the big gas engines provided it was in the HD chassis. The "regular" chassis isnt wide enough for it to fit.

Yep, the Allison was available with the 8.1L gas engine in the HD trucks, but that engine isn't an option anymore.