• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

begginer archery hunter

I'm a whisker biscuit guy myself, pretty i-d-i-o-t proof. You're going to want to shoot vanes as opposed to feathers with that, & probably blazer vanes. They maybe aren't quite as pinpoint accurate as a really good drop away, but they aren't as fussy, no bumping the arrow off the rest if you get excited.

Not trying to be mean, just sayin you should have started this process in May as it takes alot of practice practice practice to get good enough to shoot deer. But, as you are just starting out, I would go to a good archery shop and get fitted for a bow for you. Doesn't have to be top of the line bow as the middle and lower end bows now have alot of features the older top of the line bows have, so get the best you can afford and get fitted and practice practice practice! 2c

Not trying to be mean, just sayin you should have started this process in May as it takes alot of practice practice practice to get good enough to shoot deer. But, as you are just starting out, I would go to a good archery shop and get fitted for a bow for you. Doesn't have to be top of the line bow as the middle and lower end bows now have alot of features the older top of the line bows have, so get the best you can afford and get fitted and practice practice practice! 2c

With modern bows a guy can get setup and shoot accurately pretty fast. I would however limit my shooting range to maybe 20 yards until you get some experience. Shooting at a deer is worlds different than shooting at a target. Knowing your limitations is very important.

Agreed. You're nowhere near too late. Get yourself a bow you like and practice, practice, practice. Once you feel comfortable shooting out to 25-30 yards then you are good to go. I like the whisker biscuit and still use it. I've never had it cost me a deer because of noise or trajectory and its great in terms of spot and stalk, which I do on occasion. Don't be afraid to go entry-level or cheaper on a bow to see if you like bowhunting before you upgrade. I chose and hunted with a cheapo Parker BuckHunter for 7 years with good success before slightly upgrading to my Diamond Outlaw last year. The latter would be a good "entry-level" bow package btw.

Never to late to start. I'd go with a drop away. If you can afford it, get a nice bow. If you like archery you'll most likely end up wanting a higher end anyway. If not a lower end will be fine. As said already if I was to go cheap anywhere it would be the quiver.

Take a look at the Bear Encounter. I believe you can get one fully set up and ready to go for $400. I was looking at purchasing a new bow earlier this year and was surprised by the bang for your buck on this model. This will be my 10th season shooting my entry level martin bow lol. My only other advise would be not to get to obsessed with arrow speed. Any bow with an IBO over 300 will be plenty fast. Also be sure the brace height is at least 7 in. 7.5 would be better IMO.

Agreed. You're nowhere near too late. Get yourself a bow you like and practice, practice, practice. Once you feel comfortable shooting out to 25-30 yards then you are good to go. I like the whisker biscuit and still use it. I've never had it cost me a deer because of noise or trajectory and its great in terms of spot and stalk, which I do on occasion. Don't be afraid to go entry-level or cheaper on a bow to see if you like bowhunting before you upgrade. I chose and hunted with a cheapo Parker BuckHunter for 7 years with good success before slightly upgrading to my Diamond Outlaw last year. The latter would be a good "entry-level" bow package btw.

I also agree. First time I ever bow hunted was because my buddy asked me to join him the day before season. Only shot a few times prior to that, then we did a little target practice and WAAHLA hooked! First year was more just getting use to everything and focusing a little more on tactics. Saw alot of deer and had plenty of opportunities, you'll love it if you enjoy the outdoors.

I still shoot a wisker biscuit, rather than purchasing a new rest just replaced the biscuit. I like it, like bigbucks said, it's pretty "i-d-i-o-t proof". I've never had noise be a problem nore noticed it, but I suppose its possible. Just get a bow thats set up and in a year or two you will know what you want and can save money. Good Luck!

Just was in the same shoes as you were. I would recommend going to a shop and shoot some arrows through the rests. I picked up a QAD and that felt much smoother for me. This is my first year with archery, dug around hard on the interweb for the used market and found a Mathews Outback hundred bucks. I added a rest, cheap quiver online(only part you can skimp on), and I'm using the stock 4pin sight. Been shooting for about 2hrs everyday for the last 2weeks either at a range or in backyard in a stand and my groupings in the 30-40yrds have really shaped up. Shoot a few in the shops to get yourself familiar which what works good for you is best I think, too many options out there and a lot of brand flaming online.