• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Custom Thorne Bros. Rod - Advice Needed

stpaulslouch

I am looking to place an order for a custom Thorne Bros rod in the next week or 2. I am looking for some advice on which one to go with. I mainly fish local Mpls./ St. Paul lakes but get at least a couple trips up north to Mille Lacs and LOW each year. I am leaning towards the Perch Sweetheart as a multi functional rod but would appreciate advice from those that have used Thorne Bros. rods. In a perfect world I'd have a Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart and Walleye Sweetheart but that's just not very realistic right now!

Also am trying to decide between inside or outside guides. Lastly, what color wraps has everyone found to be their favorite?

If you're going to buy your first rod that's the one to start with.

Great rod for Perch and will work for pannies with a spring bobber but

it will handle walleye too. Outside guides work fine inside, as for

color you've got to please yourself. smirk

yep, Get a perch rod. I have lots of there rods and the perch blank should fill your needs. I most likely get there outside eyes because their worth the money. I know I will be outside because I get them 34"+ and like to hole hop.

PS. you better order 2 or 3 right away because they are addicting.

I got a Perch Sweetheart last year, I agree, it is a great rod for all around use. It is very sensitive so it works great for panfish, but is a little bit bigger and seems to handle the bigger game fish well. Obviously ideally you would want to get several for different used, but this makes a great multi-purpose rod if you can only buy one.

I have inside guides because it was cheaper, used it outside a few times, haven’t had to many issues, but would probably get the outside guides if you are willing to pay a bit more.

I love my perch sweetheart. Its my main walleye rod (landed a 42" sturg on LOW last year). Its a perfect action for 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigging spoons, and flexes in all the right places.

I am also a big fan of their panfish sweetheart rods too, theyre great action for small (metro) walleyes/perch/panfish. Its really a swiss army knife of rods.

If I was getting a walleye rod I would go Perch sweetheart for sure.

I'm a panfish and small trout guy myself so I can't help you much as far as which blank to choose. What I will say is go with the outside guides. My personal preferance are the rec guides but I fish with noodle rods all the time and like the light weight. Another advantage of the larger guides is that bobber knots will not hang up in them. My first custom rod was a TB Powernoodle with standard guides. They are just too small for my taste. Lesson learned.

Well I pulled the plug tonight. I was very fortunate to get more than I expected for birthday gifts from generous family and ordered a Perch Sweetheart (28") and Quiverstick (27"). I got the outside guides on the Perch and the black stealth recoil guides on the Quiverstick, both matched up with the 5" cork. I had the Perch Sweetheart wrapped in red thread with a metallic silver accent and the Quiverstick with a black wrap with metallic red accent, there were a couple rods I saw with those colors and they looked pretty neat. I can't wait to get the in 2-3 weeks and practice my form!