• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas Condensation on Tank

delmuts

I have a 1990 Ranger with the gas tank under the back end. I've been getting a gas smell lately while it is sitting in the shed. Thought it mite be the gas line,( it's original, and i'm replacing it) but also noticed the top and side of the tank damp around the seal for the gas pick-up and the sender for the fuel gauge.( which never has worked grin)

Should i be concerned?

Thanks!

I doubt the dampness if fuel as it would probably evaporate quickly if it was gas. I would suspect that you fuel odor is coming from a bad filler hose or vent line or fuel line. On a 22 year old boat, they all have seen better days, especially if they have been exposed to ethanol blended fuels. If you can see them, they shouldn't be too hard to replace. Expect to pay around $10 per ft of the big filler hose. But don't scrimp on this either. To test you fuel gauge, with a 12 volt test light, and the ignition turned on, you should have 12 volts at the pink wire on the sender. ( also better verify that the grounds are good on the sender also) If so, replace the sender. If not, replace the fuel gauge after verifying that it is has power to it.

The wetness on the tank.If i wipe it with my hand; it's kind of oily, and definetely smells like gas.

Trying to find GOOD gas line was a pain around here. finally got some at Cabelas in Wis.I'm lucky in that we have a station where i can buy gas without ethanol.

Just to add. Seems my problem WAS the old gas line! Since i replaced it; no more gas smell, or condensation.

What a pain to just change the gas line!!! Apparently back in 1990, Ranger used a 3/16 dia. gas line which is nolonger made!The smaller size is 1/4 dia. now. This required changing the nipple on the fuel tank, and getting a new clip that attaches to the motor. course no one in my area carried everything i needed or my little yammy!!