• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Possible new USED truck

I have been half interested in selling my 2002 F250 diesel 7.3 lariet for the last couple of years.

Imagine my suprise yesterday when the wife tells me she knows somebody that might be interested in buying it.

So, I might be in the market for a new Used truck.

I buy new vehicles but I think am interested in the savings of buying a couple of year old truck.

I don't haul heavy loads anymore just a 16' lund and a trailer full of wood once in a while.

I am a Ford Guy ( I know ) so I will probably stay with that line.

Years 2008-2012 what should I look out for? Bad engines, bad tranny...

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

If you are going with the gas engine, go with the EcoBoost engine (F150)

If you are planning on sticking with diesel, go with the 6.7. Dont buy the 6.0, or the 6.4.

Since you arent towing much, I see no need for the diesel, so in that case the f150 Ecoboost will be a good truck for you. Great MPG, great power, and very low on repair per vehicle.

The EcoBoost didnt come out until 2011, so you would have to go 2011 or newer to get the EcoBoost. Which I would recommend. Go drive one, you will be pleased. Although, because they are highly sought after, they dont go to cheap.

They are expensive, because not to many people are selling them, they buy them, and like them. Then the few used ones out there, people are bidding against each other. Before letting the price scare you, go drive one. You will justify the amount quickly.

Considering the use of the truck is it warranted to go with that sort of option? Not arguing that it's not a nice setup, but is how much you need what it proves worth the premium you're going to pay?

IOW, need a high-tech 365hp engine to pull a 16ft boat?

Also, 1 or 2 years isn't really that long of a reliability history.

The EcoBoost engine has been tested for about 5 years now, it wasnt rushed out to production like a few other model engines were. As for warranty cost per vehicle, in the first 18 months of production, it is by far the lowest of any vehicle. I dont remember exactly how much it was, but it was about 60% of what second place was. For a work truck, in a new model year, that is something to brag about. Your right, a couple years in production isnt a long history, but the little bit of history it has, it is blowing away all the others.

I have been half interested in selling my 2002 F250 diesel 7.3 lariet for the last couple of years.

Imagine my suprise yesterday when the wife tells me she knows somebody that might be interested in buying it.

So, I might be in the market for a new Used truck.

I buy new vehicles but I think am interested in the savings of buying a couple of year old truck.

I don't haul heavy loads anymore just a 16' lund and a trailer full of wood once in a while.

I am a Ford Guy ( I know ) so I will probably stay with that line.

Years 2008-2012 what should I look out for? Bad engines, bad tranny...

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Yeah, it's always nice to get a newer vehicle, but another thing to consider is if that one is in good shape and no major issues to fix, I'd reckon you could buy lots of diesel for the difference in price to get into a newer used truck.

I'm still using my 94 Chev because while a bit of rust it still runs good and for how much I use it I can't really justify a newer one.

Everyone I know who has had a 7.3 that they decided to sell, have a line of people chomping at the bit waiting for them to decide to do so so they can buy it... ESPECIALLY one taken well care of, not rusted out, and not a ton of miles, (these days 200,000 or less) is a low milage 7.3 in most peoples eyes...

I would think strongly about keeping the truck with the 7.3. You wouldn't have the monthly payments and you could use what you save a month for other things. If you are sticking with going newer and staying with Ford then I would either get the EBoost or at least getting the newer 5.0 V8 over the older generation Triton engines.

Your 7.3 is a sought after truck. You will get a top dollar if its in good shape since ford hasn't had a good proven diesel since.

While I will agree the 7.3 was a good engine, but the 6.7 is also a very good engine so far, with more power factory then the 7.3 gets with a chip.

While I will agree the 7.3 was a good engine, but the 6.7 is also a very good engine so far, with more power factory then the 7.3 gets with a chip.

The 6.7 lacks the proven part. I haven't seen any with 200k yet or 100k for that matter

Well there has been a slight change of events.

I came home from the lake and jumped into the truck to run to Menards and it won't start.

It sat in the driveway for 2 weeks and now won't start, WTS light comes on and cranks but no fire.

The truck has 144,xxx miles and is in good condition but it is starting to rust pretty bad. I think this is the begining of the nickle and dime process. The guy that wants to buy it is a mechanic so I don't think it would be a big deal for him. I am going to start a new thread about the non starting issue.

Thx,

Mike

Quote:
The 6.7 lacks the proven part. I haven't seen any with 200k yet or 100k for that matter

I know of many, even with 300k+ on them, 3 years in service as a hard work truck I think is a fair amount of time. I have a fleet account by me that hauls hogs from my area, to the southern states non stop, and they dont get shut off unless they are getting serviced. They put about 150-200k a year on their trucks, and he trades them in every 2-3 years, and has about 10 trucks. Not to many issues at all with them.

I will tell you, after the 6.4 debacle, they went to Chevy for a couple years, and have returned for the 6.7 Ford engine.