• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help with a used sled

I just bought a used 93 Ski-doo Formula Mach 1. It runs excellent and has 3k miles on it. I was looking at the owners manual to spot the dip stick so i could check the crankcase oil. When i found the dip stick it was missing and broken off. All that is there are a few nylon or plastic threads that look like they were factory glued to the side of the crankcase or something. Well i put a straw down the hole and the crank is dry. Adding oil is one thing but is this problem fixable? Can a shop fix this or am i going to need the whole side of the block with a new dipstick assembly? Just glad i caught it before i ran it hard. Thanks for any info....

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

Uh-oh!

That is you chain case, I am guessing. Not a good thing to have dry. Two stroke engines do not have any lube in the crank case of the engine. The lube is in the gas/oil mix. The only thing that should have a dip stick is the chain case.

Not being real familiar with the chain case setup on Skidoos, I suggest having a dealer look at this. Depending upon how long it was run dry, your chain, sprockets, tensioner, and possibly the bearings deserve a VERY close look. A chain failure at a good speed can be a very spectacular and dangerous thing.

Most cases can be slipt in half. Lay the seld on its side, and just unbolt the outside half. Give the case a few taps with a rubber mallet, and it should come apart so you can inspect the interior.

On a Polaris, the dipstick plugs in and out of the chain case, and seals with o-rings, it does not thread in. Again, I am not sure how the dipsticks are on Skidoo sleds.

Good luck, and I hope this does not suck for you.

Thanks for the info/ I thought by looking at it, it was the chaincase, but the manual refers to it as the crankcase. I spoke to a fella last night who deals with ski-doo and he said a dipstick is around $20. And it should just pop in like a polaris. My other question is: were did the 7oz of oil go. Is it usually from a leaky gasket? Or does this oil burn if you have internal problems? This sled did sit idle for many years covered in a barn. Thanks

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

Perhaps the gasket leaked as you mentioned. I'd pop the cover off the chain case and give everything in there a good look-see, and then replace the gasket as a precaution.

That was a top end sled in its day, and I would want to make sure everything in there is hunky-dory. The manual should have a procedure on proper chain tension.

If everything in there is rusted up, give some thought on replacing the chain, and maybe the sprockets if they are worn.

there is only enough lube in the case to cover most of the bottom sprocket. The chain carries lube up to the top sprocket and to the tensioner.

Most of the time, the system is darn rugged. Hopefully it was not run with the case dry.