• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plum trees

bopper4

I have a toka and pembina plum tree at the house. Both are healthy trees and both flower every year but neither bear any. I would say they are both 5 + years old as they were planted by the previous owner. Any thoughts?

First thought was that one or the other might not be what advertised /sold. Far from a plum expert, but also could be that they are not compatible. Yes, Toka is a great pollinator, but both are hybrids and sometimes hybrids do not cross pollinate well. Maybe try adding a simple wild plum into the mix....any in the immediate area?

Ok...did not know a lot about the Pembina and did a little googling and can see why you might be having issues......a lot of conflicting info out there.....even amongst the plum snobs....will spare you the details smile From my short and not so in-depth understanding, it is a cross between a canadian(Prunus Niagra) and a japanese(Prunus Salicina). The Toka, I do believe is an an americican(prunus americana) japanese hybrid. Long story short .... you will need to plant a non hybrid variety that is either canadian or japanese for the pollinator. Or conversely plant a non hybrid american variety that is your main fruit bearer......confused? i kind of am wink Basically you have to match the last names......with a hybrid and non hybrid.