• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adding battery

Jmnhunter

was thinking of adding a radio with 2 speakers in the boat and possibly a depth finder in the future (for the bow of the boat) I already have a deep cycle up front for my trolling motor, and i could possibly get by with adding a oversized flasher battery up front with the deep cycle, but will it be enough to power a radio and a depth finder?

Its hard to find a radio that won't pull 10amps, which is a lot of power. If you like extended trips and use the trolling motor frequently i would suggest adding a 2nd battery.

I'm running the following on 3 12v group 27's in parallel: 55# bow mount, 50# transom, Radio, Auto bilge, Manual Bilge, Hbird, AC power, two 16' LED strips, spot light, and nav lights. Of course, it would be pretty rare that all are on at once...and really bad if both bilge's needed to be shocked

All accs should be wired into the cranking battery, I run a sterio, I Pod/Cell charger, graph/gps, lights, bilage and livewells and recirc pumps and never have lost battery in a days time.... Always plugged in and charging when not on the water....

whats the reasoning for having the accs wired to the cranking battery esox? my boat has the lights, bilage and areator pumps wired to the cranking. the depthfinder and trolling motors are to a deep cycle in the frount.

i figure the better battery to go dead is the frount one.

Most motors these days recharge the starting battery. Keeping the accessories on the starting battery keeps them running via the motor recharging.

Sometimes you can get interference on the depth finder when tied to the same battery as the trolling motor.

Thirdly, today's electronics let you monitor the charge on the battery, among other things, s you can see when the battery is low before it's too late.

whats the reasoning for having the accs wired to the cranking battery esox?

Most likely so he can charge on the water.

My motor doesn't charge batteries, which is why i have 3 in parallel. If my motor did charge, there is no way i'd need more than 2. Like mentioned above though, you can create interference by running graph and motor, or another accessory. Some units offer devices that reduce the interference on your graph. I know Hbird has a few gadgets.