• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pepper Problems

Bowfin

I've tried growing peppers (bell $ jalapenos) for a few years now. Its been difficult. The plants just seem to sit there for several weeks and start looking beat up without much growth. Then a few will take off in mid-summer. I wonder if gardening in Duluth has something to do with it. Early summers are usually cool and wet. However, temps are plenty warm now and the plants are not doing much, again. Plenty of moisture lately with the floods - other plants are doing good.

Any suggestions, or are peppers just finicky?

Peppers do like heat. They like nice hot days in the mid 80s to 90. If you are in Duluth and it stays cooler. Build a wood box around them with a glass roof. On hot days open them up but when it is cool keep them closed so the Sun heats them up. Also how far do you spread them apart. Peppers seem to always do better when they are touching I usually plant mine 12" apart at the most in a row. I am not sure why but they do much better. Water them daily and give them a shot of Miricle Grow or similar every couple weeks.

I had similar issues in the past. I couldnt get them to grow well in the garden. So, the wife started putting them in pots up by the house. This way we can move them in sun/shade depending on time of day. Much easier to manage this way. Also, I think the pots heat up the soil alot better and the plants show the results well. Good luck

Is your soil draining the water away? Maybe it is too wet. Hot and dry is ideal(ok, not dry dry, but you get my point). Could try to plant them in 2 or 3 gallon containers with well drained soil next year. Also make sure you are not putting them out too early, only after the nighttime temps get above 50. They can get stunted if put out too early and will never really take off. This might be well into June up there. If you really care you could start some from seed and make sure you get a suitable variety. Territorial and Johnny's have a nice selection for cool season climates. The California 3000 and Sun Bell are a decent choices for cooler climates though, and can often be found in local green houses.

I was just going to post a question on why I cant grow peppers and found this.

I live in the sand plains of Sherburne county. I have tried 3 years now and cant get any peppers of any kind to take off. I get a few peppers on each plant at best.

right now everything is just tacky looking. I am doing something dreadfully wrong.

I have a neighbor that couldnt keep up with picking habaneros and jalapenos on just a few plants he had last year. only real difference is that he loaded up on compost in the garden. I have not.

But oddly enough most other stuff grows real good overall.

Peppers do well in pots if the soil temps are cool. 2 plants is a 5 gallon bucket is about max. If you overcrowd them you will get small, if any, fruit and not much of it.

A very good variety is Calif Wonder.

Do not over water them either. They don't like damp feet.

I have a one big green pepper coming off a red pepper plant and was waiting for it to turn red. I know it should be red when its mature but it seems it shouldve turned already cause the size of it. I figured it was a green marked as a red. What size do they start to turn?