• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Not sure about octopus circle hooks

heating guy

Sounds like you did OK.

If you don't let fish hook them selves you will miss alot of fish. The first few times I tried them I would set the hook and would miss mostly because I forgot what hook I was using but when I would let the fish load up the rod all I would do is strt reeling them in and the hook would set it self.

I personally think 7/0 are too small for Flatheads. They will catch fish in a pinch, but if you are targeting flats specifically, I would up size to 8 9 or 10/0.

But I never use circles for flats, only channels.

Well, you should always match your hook size to the bait you are using and the type of fish you are targeting.

I like using 6/0 for a golf ball size of cut bait when fishing for channels. I've caught plenty of big flats (up to 50lbs) with this setup. If I was solely targeting flatheads with cutbait I would up size to an 8/0 or bigger just because the immense size of a flatheads mouth.

When targeting flats I most always use live bait, and a few reason I won't use circles are:

1. I love to set the hook and with circles you should never set the hook, just let the fish pull.

2. in order for a circle to work properly the fish has to move away from you. A lot of times a flathead will hit your bait and either just sit there and/or start moving towards you or to the side. Now you are in trouble.

3. I don't know why this is, but I've had more gut hooked flatheads on circle hooks than regular J hooks.

4. I love to set the hook smile

Circles work great for channels as when a channel takes the bait, it will usually give a short tap for a quick taste test, then it will eat the bait and take off like a freight train. If you are using circles tight lined in a rod holder, you just wait until the fish is hooked and start reeling.

I know Steve D uses circle hooks for flats, but he uses a harness type rig with 2 or 3 hooks. I think this helps hook up ratio quite a bit.

I still prefer to set the hook. cool

3. I don't know why this is, but I've had more gut hooked flatheads on circle hooks than regular J hooks.

I've found this as well. I sampled 93 flatheads last year (41 J-hook, 52 circle) and the only 3 that swallowed the hook were on circle hooks. Not sure why it happens.

All I use is octopus circle hooks. Like Gordy said, it is best to just leave the rod in the rod holder and let them grab it and run - they will hook themselves 99% of the time. If you just have to hear your clicker run then set the clicker but as soon as you hear it buzz, just reach out and engage the reel while it is still in the holder. They will load up the rod and you can fight it out of the holder with a fish on.

I primarily use 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks for flatheads. I usually run a 2 hook bait harness with a 8/0 circle hook on the front and a 5/0 circle hook as a stinger hook. With the new 3 hook single tackle configuration being legal I've been playing around with a 3 hook rig. My bullheads look like porcupines. It just makes sense that more hooks mean a better chance of a hookup.

full-8403-21861-catharnessida.jpg

I'll have to make a bunch of those, looks like your useing super line. i do knead a heavier rod and reel lost a couple to running into snags. does length of snell matter? looks like less than a foot. I tie my own walley spinner harneses so i should have most of the stuff. Thanks a bunch this helps alot!

I'm in total agreement with DTRo but I have caught most all my flats on 7/0-8/0 style J hooks and a couple on snell style in the same size.

Not saying that 8-10?0 are to big its just thats what I have been using for along time and I havent felt the need to upsize but I will most likely start to upsize my hook selection from here on out.

I have also not had much luck with the two hook harness either but thats probably that I fish the timber so much and it always seems like I get snagged up a bit more with the two hook set up.

I'll relay my experience with circle hooks in saltwater fishing:

When fishing cut bait on a circle hook, I place my rod in a rod holder and take a snooze or read a book. I set the clicker.

When a fish takes the bait and actively run, it wakes me up. I take my time to un-dizzy after being abruptly awoken and stumble to pick up the rod. A number of seconds have elapsed and I finally engage the reel. Bam, fish on and hooked in the corner of the mouth. Zero setting of the hook. Just reel in.

I took my brother out fishing on the beach. When a fish was taking line, he grabs the rod and sets the hook nice and hard. Out comes the bait and the hook from the fish's mouth.

My suggestion for circles is to actively be lazy about it!

Don't give up on the circle hooks. They do take a little getting used to. I have also had a handful of kitties take a circle down the hatch over the years. The low mortality rate is what keeps me using them almost exclusively for cats. Glass rod+circle hook=loads of fun! whistle The hardest thing for me was learning to be patient and waiting for the hooks to stop moving before I really start playing the fish. Good luck out there!