• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

9 daytime flats yesterday! Float question also...

Pool_Eleven

Me my buddy and girlfriend went out yesterday and hammered some flatties! It was pretty fun. Nothing crazy big (13lbs was the biggest) but cant wait to try out our new spot at dark when they are really active!!

Anyway, i know i saw a thread on here about using floats above the bullhead to keep them more off the bottom. Where we were fishing was pretty rocky and we snagged alot which was expected but i was hoping we could put some floats on which would help alittle. So anybody use them? Any tips on using them? Size of float etc...?

Dtro has a youtube video on how he made the rattle bobbers, is that what you are looking for? I made some the other day and am going to try them out this week. Darren did they work ok for you?

There is a difference between running a bait under an oversize bobber and using a small float above your bait as an attractor/agitator.

I've done both and honestly mostly because of a my uber laziness I haven't used the rattle bobbers lately, but I'm glad you reminded me, i think I need to start mixing it up again.

Bobbers are often overlooked as a catfish tool. It can be a deadly tactic when wanting to work an eddy/shallow area or when fish are holding tight to structure, or anytime you want to suspend your bait a bit.

Just like walleye fishing, rig up a slip float and let the current take it round and round in an eddy, or slip it next to a snag or along the shoreline rip rap.

I'm convinced 100% that you can catch more fish by putting the bait in front of the fish rather than have them find it on their own. It's a little more work than I'd like to do, but I have no doubt of its effectiveness.

For example, I really do think that cats are AS BLIND AS A BAT. I have a couple of fish at home in a tank and the water is super clear. I can toss a crawler in there, and both the bullhead and the channel cat immediately know something is going on, but they NEVER sight feed that dang crawler EVER. They will first swim round and round and round until they home in on it, then finally a whisker will brush up against it and whammo, its gone. Now when I was younger I had a few sunnies and couple of bass, and not only would they hit that thing on first sight, they would eat it out of my hand above the water.

Sorry got off track there, but my point is that a bobber rig will and does work.

Here's some proof grin

full-105-21514-226081_10150264762404290_