• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carpet with no pad

Mnfisher

In our cabin, we have a carpet (jute back, I think) with no pad underneath. It has help up well and is about 14 years old. I would like to install a similer carpet in our 4 season porch at home. Any reason why i shouldn't? Just what is the purpose of a pad and is one really needed? There is not a lot of traffic in this room. Thanks

On a residential piece, the cushion will help reduce the impact on the carpet fibers-"softens impact". You will never wear out today's carpet fibers, but they "ugly out"-crush, mat, tip bloom, etc. Cushion will extend carpets "newer looking" appearance. Helps insulate. Makes the carpet feel "more plush".

I installed a short nap carpet in our basement without a pad, so i could just wet vac it if we had any water issues. I actually had the dehumidify run over a couple times and that worked out great. Like you it is a low traffic area and the carpet lasted 20 years!

probably just a cheaper grade residential. Looking at something at Menards for 99c a square foot.

The density (space between the tufts of fiber/carpet) on a lower end residential or commercial grade carpet are further apart. They tend to flatten or crush more easily than a higher-end, more dense carpet. Cushion will add some resiliency, helping it look better-longer. With that being said, if your going to do it, a lower end level loop carpet will look better, longer. Also, the shorter the loop, the less room it has to lay over and crush/mat. A lower end cut-pile carpet with longer tufts will mat/crush/flatten in short order without cushion-still will with cushion, but it will take longer.

Thanks guys! I ended up getting a lower cost low level loop carpet. I didn't put in a pad. It looks good now and won't get a lot of use as we put some inlay in the 1st part of the room that gets more traffic to the outside.