• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dutch Oven?

I just received my 14 inch wide/12 quart cast iron dutch oven in the mail today and am raring to do some camp style cooking with coals. I think the first thing I might try is LABS4ME's Kraut Dinner. That looks awesome. I've been checking out Internet sites on dutch oven cooking for tips, techniques and recipes but any FMers have any experiences or advice to share? Thanks!

I too have a dutch oven that I am looking to use for more than just beans on the smoker. From what I have read they are good for anything at anytime, but I just haven't used it for anything else, yet.

i'm going to post some wild game recipes here because they deal specificaly with the good ol dutch oven.

Dutch Oven Moose SloppyJo's

2 pounds ground moose [or beef/venison]

1 8oz jar mild picante sauce

1 cup diced onion

1/4 cup white vinegar

1 cup green pepper, diced

1 pack of taco seasoning

1/4 cup of brown sugar

1/4 cup green chilies, diced and drained

some hot sauce

start with 6 to 8 hot coals on bottom. brown ground moose in dutch oven with onion. drain on paper towels when done. return mixture to skillet and add green pepper, taco seasoning, brown sugar, chilies, picante sauce and white vinegar. cover and simmer 1 hour until thickened. add coals as needed to maintain low heat. serve on hamburger rolls with a dash of your favorite hot sauce if you like a little heat. good luck.

Dutch Oven Country Style Venison Steaks [or chops]

6 to 8 venison steaks or chops

2 cups of beef stock

1 cup flour

1 cup flour

1 cup buttermilk

salt and pepper to taste

2 cloves of garlic chopped

1 midium onion chopped

1 cup fresh mushrooms chopped

1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped

1/4 cup brown flour [or rue]

1 cup cooking oil

salt and pepper steaks and dip them into buttermilk. flour steaks on each side, tapping off excess flour. heat dutch oven with 6 to 8 coals on bottom. pour oil into dutch oven and heat. brown steaks on each side and set on a paper plate. drain oil leaving enough to saute onions and mushrooms. saute for 3 to 4 minutes. add garlic and saute another 2 to 3 minutes. add beefstock and bring to a simmer. add more hot coals as needed to maintain low heat. add brown flour or "rue" a little at a time to thicken gravy. again, salt and pepper to taste. place steaks in gravy and simmer 30 minutes. serve over wild rice and garnish with fresh parsley. good luck.

Well, I broke her in finally Saturday morning with a recipe called Mountain Man Breakfast off All Recipes dot com. I forgot to take photos but you start off browning a pound of mild italian sausage and onions, then stir in a couple of chopped peppers (red and yellow for me), then add some mushrooms (my own addition), then finally a dozen beaten eggs. And I guess, finally, finally, six slices of Americian cheese over the top. You are supposed to add 2lbs of hashbrowns too but we skip the potatoes most days and seemed like a bit much. This version turned out great.

To cook it, I filled a chimney 3/4 full of coals, then when ready, spread them out over the bottom of the Weber, set the dutch oven on top and sauteed everything. When it came time to add the eggs, I moved the coals over, except for 8 underneath the oven and then placed 18 on top on the lid. Then I just let it slow cook for 30 minutes, took the lid off, added the cheese and let cook for another 5 minutes or so. Good eats!