• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muskie Spawn

The only thing that is ahead of schedule was ice out IMO. After that the water failed to warm up and walleyes really didn't spawn any earlier than normal. Problem is when its that early the eggs don't fully mature so its not very successful. Almost 3 weeks after ice out water was barely 50 degrees. That's super slow. In the end I think fishing opener will be about avg possibly one week ahead but that's it

I know the DNR went out to net Becky 2 weeks after ice-out and couldn't buy a muskie. I don't think that it's going to be much different then a normal year (maybe a couple weeks). Saw one big girl cruising with some spawning scares in the shallows while I was crappie fishing the other day so she probably dropped the first load of eggs and is waiting on the 2nd.

couple weeks in lake march we had 70's and 80's but the average high since is below normal we get a day of 65-70 then 3 days of 45 -55 with lows in the high 30s,,if we dont get some stable spring weather it will screw the fish up for the year.

I agree Brad. I think the walleye/northern and panfish spawn has really been messed up. I think walleye and northerns will be very hard hit and not have a very successful natural reproduction year.

The panfish, bass and muskies have a chance yet, but you are 100% right we need stable weather. Even if it were only 60's for a period of time. The last couple weeks we had several nights around 20. High in the 40's thats a major setback. one night no big deal, but string 5 days of those together.

I think we're probably fine. It really comes down to the lake. Two eutrophic lakes by my house were 60-65 last week. The deeper mesos are mid to high 50's depending on where the wind is blowin. My prediction for northern opener is rain with a high of 43 and I'll be darned if its anything different.