• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat rigging options opinions

guyonacouch

So, I'm rigging up my newly acquired Lund Fisherman and have a couple options I was going to run by the forum here. Right now I've got a co-pilot 65# 12 volt Minn kota on the front that seems to pull the boat around nicely. The remote control is easy to use and does a good job of getting the boat where I want it, but I think I'd like to upgrade to an 80# 24 volt i-pilot. To fund this upgrade, I'm considering selling the current trolling motor and also selling a 9.9 2006 2 stroke Yamaha that I've got. This motor is a great motor and I've considered putting it on as a kicker, but I only occasionally troll cranks, so I don't know how much use it would actually get. My questions for the forum:

1. How much could I get for the 65# co-pilot w/2 remotes?

2. Do you think I would regret selling the Yamaha motor to have as a kicker? Are any of you with kicker motors and nice trolling motors really using your kicker that much?

Thanks!

I have the same boat as you,2006 Fisherman. I sold the a 56" 70# co pilot I bought with the boat new last year for $500, felt happy with that. I went with a 60" 80# Torrova ipilot and made the right move there - LOVE IT!

I do not have a kicker, I would rather pull the boat with the ipilot than push it, the boat pushes poorly in any wind.

I can't help you with #2 but I have sold lots of trolling motors over the last 10 years.

Last fall I sold a 6 month old PD55 V2 with US2 for $400. If yours has US2 I would like to believe you could get $500 for it.

If yours is the older Power Drive and doesn't have universal sonar I would say $250.

I will say that I sold a rock solid 1984 15 HP Yamaha for $750 about 5 years ago and I have been kicking myself ever since. Loved that motor and wish I would have kept it for the resort boat at "our cabin". Don't sell it unless you absolutely need the money to fund the Terrova. Find another way.

How's your financial portfolio? Just kidding. But if money for purchasing the new trolling motor is an issue, sell the 9.9 motor. It doesn't sound like you plan to use it much so why hold onto it. The 80# trolling motor will handle the few times that you want to pull cranks. I use my 90hp and 50# trolling cranks.

That said, if money is no object then hold onto the 9.9. You may have a use come up for it in the future. Just make sure to "winterize" it so that if it sits for 3-5 years or longer, the motor doesn't go to junk.