• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transome angle?

Can't tell you the angle but I can tell you how you can quickly calculate it out by using a square. Place the square on the boat as shown in the pic below. Measure the distance between the bottom edge of the hull, and the inside corner of the square to get "Y". Now measure the length of the square from the inside corner of the square to the end of the square to get "X". Now divide Y by X then take the inverse tangent of the answer to get the angle.

If you need help with calculating, post the X and Y numbers you got and I will gladly figure it out.full-26275-19711-tran103.gif

Give Randy a call in the engineering department at ALUMACRAFT. 507-931-1050 He'll be glad to answer that as well as any other questions you might have. Tell him Clayton sent you!

Can't tell you the angle but I can tell you how you can quickly calculate it out by using a square. Place the square on the boat as shown in the pic below. Measure the distance between the bottom edge of the hull, and the inside corner of the square to get "Y". Now measure the length of the square from the inside corner of the square to the end of the square to get "X". Now divide Y by X then take the inverse tangent of the answer to get the angle.

If you need help with calculating, post the X and Y numbers you got and I will gladly figure it out.full-26275-19711-tran103.gif

X= 14"

Y= 3.5"

Is the angle 5 degrees?

14 degrees. A good rule of thumb when using a standard 14 inch framing square is for every 1/4" in the Y direction, the angle is approximatly 1 degree.

I don't know how you got the 5 degrees, but if you're using a scientific calculator there is a "TAN" button or something similar. The inverse tangent should be the secondary function of that button which usually looks like "TAN -1". Divide 3.5 by 14 to get .25, now hit the secondary button then Tan-1 to get 14.036....

I'm also a machinist, but haven't done the manual calculations for several years since I've been using cad/cam. I drew a quick sketch based on the values to verify the angle. Scary how quickly a guy can get dependent on tech vs knowledge retention.

Are you currently working in the trade?

Yes sir, and now they are begging for machinists, or so they say.

I own a small 3 person shop in Lakeville. I have 3 Haas CNC machining centers. I've had the shop for 16 years of either feast, or famine. Manufacturing has been a roller coaster ride for several years now.

Check out my place www.machining-online.com

Oh yeah, I know of you guys. I worked just down the road at DHY for a couple years right after I graduated from college.

I've heard some places are begging for machinists also, but I'm not going to set aside the year of school I've already put in to go to a place that would probably lay me off the moment things get slow again.