• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle Nabs Duck

Melissa Neibache

I was at a local garden center today & saw this Eagle. First it was on a dead head tree, then it swooped down to the shore, grabbed a duck & flew off...what a site. Has anyone seen an eagle grab & kill a duck? We thought it was getting a fish off shore, until I looked at my camera & saw the orange feet in the picture.... full-41111-19454-eagleatgertens5x7.jpg

I've heard of eagles taking ducks, but never actually saw it happen.

We were fishing on Calhoun about a year ago when the coots were in and saw an eagle take one of them. That particular bird worked the coot flock over and over until it had isolated stragglers and then wore them out until one came up too quick. Then the eagle just sat on the water for quite a while, holding the captured coot down, before it laboriously launched itself up directly off the water and carried the dead coot off into the distance, most likely to the nest, since it didn't stop in one of the trees along the lake shore to feed, like it had between episodes of working over the coot flock.

That particular eagle had certainly hunted coots before.