• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First flathead on video

badfisherman

theres a saying "once you go cats you never go back". the interesting thing is that alot of people happen to catch their first cats on walleye gear. this is fine if you are only catching channel cats in the 3 to 5 lbs range but as you found out it is nicer to have heavy duty gear to fish the larger cats. any ways welcome to the Addiction that is cat fishing. also since you are from zimmerman you might want to check out the HSO Mississippi North Get Together on April 28th that we are holding at Otsego county park. It's mainly a catfish event but you can catch other species to(ie : suckers, carp and red horse). check out the thread in the Mississippi north forum and/ or the HSO events forum.

here are the links to the threads :

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...Tog#Post2813200

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...Out#Post2813202

Thanks,I might stop by. I grew up fishing thge mississippi around Elk River. caught many channel cats in my days but nothing even close to the size of that flathead. You guys gonna be shore fishing or in boats?

Is the St. Croix good for flatheads? thinking about camping and trying to catch some more of them things!

What is good bait. Crawlers? I've heard chicken liver is good?

Badfisherman congrats on the flat and a nice one at that.

I see your my neighbor grin I may have a open seat once or twice for some flathead fun if your intrested.

Bullheads,creek chubs and suckers are a great bait for flats and I have seen some monsters caught on night crawlers but when using them you have to fight off all the small fish also.

it will be shore fishing in the park. the st croix has flat head but you may see more on the minnesota river or the mississippi from pool 2 down. there is no flats above the coon rapids dam even thou a few claim there is. as for bait for channel cats I use : cut up sucker minnows or catch a large sucker and cut that up into pieces. chicken livers(these work better at certain times of the year), Crawlers work but you tend to get more white suckers and carp and red horse with them(still a fun fight thou), dip baits (I perfer team catfish brand secret 7), and lastly raw uncooked shrimp that you buy at a grocery store(I tried this once but didn't catch any. some people do catch them on this). as for flatheads the bait of choice is 7 to 10 inch long live bullheads. live suckers will work at times as will creek chubs. the hard part of them thou is keeping them alive. bullheads hold up better and will live longer. check out some of Dtro's you tube videos of them fishing the minnesota river(do a search on there for Dtrofishon and it will take you to his videos. he also has a few posted in the video section of HSO. maybe he will chime in on this.

Badfisherman congrats on the flat and a nice one at that.

I see your my neighbor grin I may have a open seat once or twice for some flathead fun if your intrested.

Bullheads,creek chubs and suckers are a great bait for flats and I have seen some monsters caught on night crawlers but when using them you have to fight off all the small fish also.

Gordie,

I'm having some trouble pm ing you. Try me and I'll get you my phone number. I'd be stoked to go after some flathead with you.