• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water impeller replacement?

Scupper

1997 Mercury 90 hp ELPTO - OG583238.

Looked easy enough from the videos I viewed on YouTube and have helped with one or two in the past with my Dad on smaller motors.

Upon pulling the lower end off, I found the drive shaft did not have the rubber seal that is slide down the shaft and located on top of the impeller housing that I had seen on the repair videos.

None the less, I replaced the original (1997) impeller and 2 gaskets which still preformed and looked good and reassembled the motor. Ran the motor and had a strong stream coming out the "P" hole.

Now, maybe it's just me but I noticed water coming out of openings in the mid and lower part of the unit. I am using water ears. Should I be concerned about this or is my subconscious playing games with me as to the shaft seal that was not present in my initial inspection and how many more openings are on the motor to drain water besides the "P" hole?

Hope I explained this right.

Scott

Replaced the impeller on my Merc 2002 115hp, the increased water pressure

caused my "water jacket gasket" to give way next to my top spark plug.

Water was squirting out pretty bad and would have been running out my cowling if I had it on. I'm no expert but thought I would pass that along. Suppose to be a common problem from my internet research.

S_S, I had the shroud cover off when running and did not notice any water coming from around the engine. All seemed fine. Thanks for replying.

Boatfixer, I'll get some pictures posted if I don't find a rational explanation from the Merc dealer tomorrow.

Thank you.

Scott

Hi Bruce.

Just returned from a question and answer session at the Merc dealer near my home. The conclusion is that all is fine and my installation was done correct.

When I quizzed as to the water relief outlets other then the "P" hole I learned that there may be many. The one that caught my ear is located in front of the motor(lower unit)facing the boat just above the cavitation plate.

The boat is located at my mother in laws out in Blaine which brings me to this question. Do you have a brother named Blaine? I worked with a Blaine Baird some 30 years ago down hear in the cities.

Thanks for taking interest in helping me with my motor issues.

Scott