• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squirrel Hunting

AwesomZZ

I’ve been reading up on what size caliber you can use for hunting and all, but all the info I’ve been gathering doesn’t say whether I can use AR rifles to hunt with. I’m not talking about using .223 caliber for squirrels, but just the .22LR. So, straight to the question, is it legal to hunt small game with my Smith and Wesson M&P AR 15-22? I know some people may disagree and that there may be other guns to use, like the Ruger 10/22 but this is all I’ve got, other than my home protection shotgun.

As long as it is only semi-auto, and the barrel length is long enough, I don't see why you can't use it.

You'll get a few funny looks though! Some people (even fellow hunters) are intimidated by "black guns." But like you said, it's really no different than a 10/22.

But I could be wrong. As a new resident I still have a lot to learn when it comes to "The Land of 10,000 Laws". LOL

You might get a few looks and some question about it, but a 22 lr is a legal caliber for squirrel. Just have a smile on your face when some asks you what you are doing with "that" out in the woods.......that is a dedicated 22 lr platform correct?

You might get a few looks and some question about it, but a 22 lr is a legal caliber for squirrel. Just have a smile on your face when some asks you what you are doing with "that" out in the woods.......that is a dedicated 22 lr platform correct?

Yup, its a dedicated 22lr rifle and the barrels or other firing mechanism's can't be swapped out for the true .223 bullets.

In case anyone stumbles upon this thread, you can hunt small game with assault rifles. In this particular case, with a .22lr rifle. I contacted the DNR and they said it was completely legal.

Your 22LR would be legal any time it's legal to hunt small game. There is no such thing as legal caliber for squirrels; any gun is legal. The only exception is you can't have a legal deer gun in the woods 5 days before through 2 days after firearm deer season.

Your 22LR would be legal any time it's legal to hunt small game. There is no such thing as legal caliber for squirrels; any gun is legal. The only exception is you can't have a legal deer gun in the woods 5 days before through 2 days after firearm deer season.

I have Smith & Wesson AR15 10/22 and my wife has the Alexander Arms AR .17HMR. (She likes bigger, powerful guns I guess) Both are assault rifles, both required permits to purchase and both used for squirrel hunting. Perfectly legal! However, .223 and .22 WMR are not legal in some zones, check with DNR before heading to each zone. I too read DNR regulations and contacted the DNR.

However, .223 and .22 WMR are not legal in some zones

.223 is a legal big game caliber, so the restrictions apply during firearms deer season. 22 mag is a rimfire round, not legal for big game, so it would be legal for squirrels and small game anywhere/anytime. At least that's my understanding. Agreed, if you're not sure it would be best to check with the DNR before going out.

Is it just me or do a lot of guys think those rules about no legal deer rifle in the woods a few days on either side of deer season are stupid?

I mean if you're going to poach a deer does that really make a hill of beans worth of difference?

Sorry if I'm hijacking a post, but it just made me think of it. It's like you can't carry a handgun while bowhunting unless you have a permit. Either way it's still not legal to shoot the deer with the handgun, as long as you don't do that what difference does it make?

Seems almost as stupid as saying, well it's illegal to intentionally chase down deer with your truck & run them over to kill them, so you can't take your truck when you go deer hunting...