• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailers

gooseisland

I recently purchased a new Can Am SXS and am looking for a good trailer to fit my needs and budget. I've decided on a 6'or7'wide by 12' long size. For the price of an aluminum I think a steel built trailer will be my best option. What are some good things to look for? Most come with a 3500lb axle. I know I want at least 14" tires with 15" prefered. What about decking? Newman's which is just up the road from me makes some with expanded metal decking. What are your thoughts on metal vs. wood decking? Thanks a ton for any input. My head is spinning when I start to look at these more and more!

I think I would go with one with a 2x6 deck just because if its wet out you dont get all the stuff coming off the road all over your machine. Plus I think the newmans only have a 2500# axle. I to have been looking and the PJ brand seems to be one of the nicer ones

First off congrats on the new ride. Be sure to post some pics in the other thread of ATV pics.

Each trailer, steel or aluminum, will have their share of downfalls.

Steel is obviously going to rust and is usually heavier (depending on model). I bought a cheap 5x8 at TSC and it was rusty by the time I got it home from the first time hauling a wheeler (it snowed the night before).

Aluminum trailers are really subject to each manufacturers design. Some don't handle long trips/road abuse that well. I won't say they tow any lighter than steel. My dad has one that pulls like it's 4X heavier but it has sides and a ramp on the back. With the removable side panels and the ramp, it will chase wildlife into the next county from the rattling so much.

Personally I would recommend something a little heavier (steel) with a wood bed and a good tongue jack. The trailers made of light/cheap angle iron won't handle much abuse either. 2c

Great advice from LEP.

We are on our 3rd trailer and here is what we thought.

Pulled all the trailers with a F150.

1st, Steel with wooden deck 7 X 12 with 2' dovetail (needed for 2 wheelers) 14" tires. Nice solid trailer, but heavy and only way to load from the back, had to twist the wheelers into position.

2nd, Newmans 7 X 8 with plywood deck (2 wheelers) and 12" tires. Light and pulled ok, side load for 2 and did seem to jump down the highway more than I liked.

3rd, Aluma 7 X 12 all aluminum. (now 3 wheelers). Light and pulls nice with the heavier load. side and back loading and 15" tires. No issues yet. Like Lep said it is loud going down the highway with the ramps mounting for the side rails. I have went as far as using bungee straps, rachet straps to tighten them down to the side.....it is annoying.

Good luck and still waiting for pictures of the ride.... grin

I am a big fan of the Aluma trailers, on my second one (upgraded to larger) and I'm working on trading for a third one, larger again (8220 this time). The Aluma is much better built than a Newmans or Beartrack trailer. I would only consider a steel trailer if it never left the shed in the winter. One trip in the salt they will rust.

All great advise and things i've pondered. As D2E said I've also noticed there are galvanized trailers out there also which would seem, to me, a great middle of the road option. Strength of steel without the cost of aluminum. I keep looking on that for sale site that Craig has. Still looking for the right deal. I'll get some pics up of the Commander later this week. I will say it is AWESOME!!

Bought a 7x14 PJ trailer to haul my Gator and 4-wheeler and couldn't be happier. Excellent quality trailer and looks super sharp with the diamond plate fenders. For what you can spend on a junk trailer at big name stores spend just a little more and get something built to last. Shop around because I found a local dealer who gave me a much better price than several other places.

If you go with steel don't get a cheap one. You have a nice ATV that you didn't skimp on so don't skimp on the trailer. I bought a cheap steel one for my first trailer and I was lucky to get 5 years out of it. I then bought an Aluma and have 4 years on that with little signs of wear. You get what you pay for.

I know what you all meen by big box store steel trailers. They are built CHEAP. I'm asking around at a couple local welding shops for prices on some too. If I wasn't always so darn busy I could spend a day running around looking at more. crazy

Ok. After some thought and looking around I have decided to build my own trailer. I am a welder/fab guy by trade. I have access to large drop off pieces of s.s. that I can have formed into 2x3 1/4 channels 3/16 thick. This is what I plan to use for the outer frame and tongue. The x-members will be 1/8" 2x3 channel designed to fit insde the outer frame channels spaced every 24". I think I have everything figured out as far as lights, placement and such to be road legal. My last big thing is axle design. Torsion or leaf? It will be a 3500lb and I plan for it to have brakes. I have a controller in my truck. Any input on axle? Searching online seems to be a horse a piece either way both+and -. Thanks!