• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to buy 3 Kayaks for the family. Any input would be great on what brand to get. We never have kayaked before. We will be using them on lakes. Young kids around 10 years old will be using them also. Price is a big factor also being a stable boat. It's all for general use to have fun. What do you guys think? Thanks

When price is factor #1, brand becomes meaningless. You tend to get what you pay for.

If you can wait it out based on availability, find some deals on local classifieds.

If you can't, then another good option is to find spring sales. In general a cheap sit on top will run you about two bills.

I bought my pelican navigator (canoe) because it was the cheapest option I had. It's a cheap canoe but it does its job perfectly fine. I'd be happy with just about any brand kayak out there.

For kids playing around in mid summer with warm water, sit on tops are great. Nearly unsinkable and they give you plenty of ability to enjoy getting wet laugh

With kayaks you generally get what you pay for. That said, like butter was saying there are usually some good spring sales right now. I'm actually a big fan of the Emotion brand kayaks. You can usually get them for a great price and free shipping on amazon. That's where I got my Emotion Stealth Angler. Otherwise Austin Kayak is EXCELLENT. That's where I got the Trident 13.

Don't skimp on the paddle.

Good luck!

Some places offer paddle nights where they let you try out different boats, or rent some for the weekend Tyrol here in Rochester has paddle nights and rentals. REI also rents kayaks.

The DNR also has a list of outfitters depending on where in the state you are at.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails/outfitters.html

If you can make it to Duluth(not sure where you live)Marine General has some of the best prices around. I bought my Old Town form there.I bought the camden angler its a nice yak but its on the higher end for price.

Menards has a sale right now on Waterquest Aruba 10' kayaks, only $169 with a paddle. You get what you pay for, these are not high end or super heavy duty, but they might be just what you are looking for! They list anywhere from $250-$450 online right now.

I bought two of them yesterday. Haven't been in the water yet, but my only complaints are the lack of a padded seat, and the edges of the cockpit are kinda flimsy (would make it a little hard to pick up and dump out water by yourself). They aren't built a well as an Otter or Pelican, but that of course is expected. And with the price you know it is imported as well...............

We only get out kayaking about 3 times a year on the Namekagon, and usually rent from Jack's in Trego. We would probally go more, but it was $50 a crack (two yaks) to paddle down the river for a few hours.

Now we will go as much as we'd like, and the best part is, the kayaks will have paid for themselves before the fourth trip has even ended smile

They weigh 40lbs each, so the kids shouldn't have a problem beaching them.

I just took one of them out on the Sunrise for a spin. Performs as expected wink I used my lifejacket as a cushion, pretty comfy.

My math was wrong on the post above, they will pay for them selves before the 7th trip is done.

There are two of them on Kraigslist right now for $560 ($280 each)..........This guy would cringe if he saw the new Menards ad.

Would a guy be able to get his legs in them with waders on? Had to put my lab down last year and hunt a couple of sandpits that if the wind isn't blowing I was thinking one of these little kayaks would work to pick up ducks that were laying out there on flat water. I know I should just get another dog and maybe I will but in the meantime was thinking this might work. I like the idea of them just weighing 40 lbs. Getting too old to handle something too much bigger.

Yeah, I think it would work just fine with waders on if you're not a real big guy.

I too plan on doing a little duck hunting out of mine. It will be tight with waders, a gun, and a few dekes. But like you said, much eaiser than lugging around a big canoe. I also thought about towing a small fishing sled if I needed more than a handful of dekes.

I wouldn't shoot out of it unless you got a bird straight in front of you. It's size will make it easy to hide after you drag it up onto some cattails or land. I did stand up in it today on the water, but it's definately not stable enough to shoot out of that way.

To be honest though, if you were looking at something dedicated for waterfowl, I think some of the larger sit-on-tops would be better suited. But the price tag and weight both go up to.........

I already own a Carsten's Pintail duckboat. This would be strictly for picking up ducks on the sandpits that are laying there on flat water that is too deep to wade in.

It would be perfect for that smile Fast, and you can turn on a dime.

I have a future beach vector 144 I think I paid 250 only for mine on sale at Dunhams its my first kayak and its perfect for what I wanted...I fish out of it, it has 2 rod holders big storage compartment in the back (I also use as livewell ha). It is very stable my brother picked his 90lb lab out of the water while sitting in it...Highly recommend it

Check out the SOT Ocean Kayak 8', for about 3 to 3 and a half bills. Fun, lightweight, great for kids. If you want to spend a little more, Malibu Mini-X Recreation or Fishing yaks(both SOT's), for about 5 and a half bills. I have 2 of those and they can't be beat for storage, lightweight (42 lbs), maneuverability and size(9'3"). Whatever you end up getting, always be ready to take one more trip with the kids. You'll never regret it, and they'll never forget it. Keep this in mind, the SOT's are easier to flip over and don't take on water like the SIT type. Enjoy.

There's a company in Savage just east of VallyFair called sunsetter Kayaks.I have the 9ft6in.great little yak,strong tracks well.I have 2 other biger kayaks .got this on for small streams/creeks.I weigh 240 and it handles my weight great.Had some young kids out they all want the small kayak cause its so easy and fun.Think they sell on the bay also

There's a company in Savage just east of VallyFair called sunsetter Kayaks.I have the 9ft6in.great little yak,strong tracks well.I have 2 other biger kayaks .got this on for small streams/creeks.I weigh 240 and it handles my weight great.Had some young kids out they all want the small kayak cause its so easy and fun.Think they sell on the bay also
I couldnt edit my post and the name sunsetter is wrong! I checked my registration and the correct name is Sunchaser Kayaks.